The sickness has spread - the vinyl rig begins...

n_maher

ok

communication break down ...

Note to self: when n_maher uses the Afro it means completely cool regardless of how one interprets what he wrote. O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 (I hope, I've made myself perfectly clear ;))

Nate, congrats on catching the bug. I am sorry to say that it is incurable for most and continues to multply as time goes on. I predict a VPI Scout within the year. There is plenty of good used vinyl around but it requires a good eye. There have been albums I've brought home that look great but didn't play well due to wear that I could not see. There is a lot of available new vinyl on the net. Another good source is to watch the for sale ads on Steve Hoffman's site. I've gotten some nice deals there. Enjoy!

Nate, congrats on catching the bug.

Thanks for all the advice, as for the Scout I'm not saying it won't happen but I'll be shocked if I push it anymore than I already have. My home headphone rig in general needs some serious attention in terms of brining it all together. I'm nearly there on the digital-source side, but the amplification is coming together more slowly than I'd like. So, in the end, I think it'll be a matter of too many projects too little time to do much upgrading in the near future. I have found a DIY record cleaner that I'm looking into...

And 909,

No worries man, we cool O0.

BTW, Nate, I sincerely hope you'll have better luck with this than you have had with the digital side of the things recently.

Thanks Haj, I hope so too. Mark and I still get a chuckle out of the Sony from time to time so at least we can laugh about it. It's officially in Mark's possesion, I told him if he can fix it he can keep it, I hope that's ok. With any luck I'll be hearing about a new digital source/transport in a few days, then it'll be a matter of deciding whether or not I keep Monica around.

Nate

Thanks Haj, I hope so too. Mark and I still get a chuckle out of the Sony from time to time so at least we can laugh about it. It's officially in Mark's possesion, I told him if he can fix it he can keep it, I hope that's ok. With any luck I'll be hearing about a new digital source/transport in a few days, then it'll be a matter of deciding whether or not I keep Monica around.

Nate

That's fine by me. I'm surprised, though, that you hadn't chucked it off a cliff after what it put you through.

vinyl....yummy. Vinyl just can't be beat. The question for me is whether I get into vinyl first or speakers first. I am leaning a bit towards speakers of course, especially when my fiance and I move to a new house, but the lure of vinyl is calling, I am just worried that shopping for vinyl will be like crack - cheap, dirty, so much good shit available for dirt cheap, and such a good high too. Next thing you know I will run out of money and will have to suck dick for vinyl on the corner of Clark and Belmont or something.

The best thing about vinyl? Unlimited dynamics, unlimited extension without ever feeling harsh or strained, and smooth and warm as apple pie. The comparison between vinyl and digital is like tubes to solid state - with digital and solid state it always seems like there is a ceiling to the music, where the music can't expand above or reach you. Vinyl grabs you by the balls and really reaches you from a musical standpoint, the air is breathtaking and it sounds so open and dynamic like there is no ceiling to the music, the closest I heard to vinyl is Meridian G08 but I have my eyes on a VPI Scout and I can tell you I would be listening to the Scout much more than the G08.

As for the inconvenience of vinyl? No one said you didn't have to work to get closer to the music ;D

Ah, speakers. >:D

Personally, I'm glad that I'm perfectly happy with my budget speaker rig, and that other factors (e.g., room arrangements) essentially discourage me from upgrading it. ;D

Lucky you >:D . The speaker bug bit me pretty hard, I went from GMA Europas and a Parasound A23 to Tyler Acoustic Linbrook Sigs and the PrimaLuna Prologue Six monoblocks in a period of like 4 months ;D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

:dance:

Well I figured I would update this thread since there's finally more news on my vinyl rig. Due to some extremely lucky circumstances I acquired a used, toasted Consonance PM-1 phono stage from a fellow Head-Fier for a price so low I refuse to post it. He had inadvertently plugged the power umbilical cord in backwards causing a mild Chernobyl inside the power supply and it had sat for over two years. With a little help from KG and Tangent I manged to figure out what parts would need replacing and waited eagerly for my next Digikey order. That day came earlier this week and with about an hour's worth of soldering I've not got a fully functioning rig. I still need to change the cart on my Thorens but for now that can wait - as I type a little Pink Floyd can be heard in the background...

70015723.jpg

70015724.jpg

70015722.jpg

Clearly it's time to rearrange the stack so that the PM-1 gets its own shelf!

At the recommendation of Todd I'm probably going to go with a Grado Red. The budget for this part of my rig is pretty limited, although it's price to performance ratio is pretty staggering right now.

I have to do something about the placement of my TT. At the top of the rack as it sits now walking anywhere near it is a recipe for disaster.