knife-case

guzziguy

I'm a big fan of the Kershaw Vapor series in that price range. I own a Vapor and it's tough solid knife, the only issue I have is it's not really a one-handed open as the thumbstud is too small & pointy & not in the best location for leverage. It's also nice & slim and the handle is nicely rounded so there's no sharp edges to dig into your hand.

e306x-e307 Knife : Leatherman

That's what I've got as my general use knife. VERY useful when you can't carry more tools. It's discontinued, but you might be able to find one cheap.

I carry some tools and ride with guys with complete tool sets, so I just want a knife. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Knifes from Spydercos Byrd line are around that price point and are considered a very good value. Like the Cara Cara or the Robin

For just a little more you should definetly take a look at the Spyderco Tenacious. Very good handling, full flat grinding (makes for nice cutting abilities) and super sharp right out of the box.

I'm not mad about the looks of the Cara Cara or Robin. The Tenacious is another matter. I'll consider it. Which of the three edges do you recommend? The choices are:

1. G10 CombinationEdge
  2. G10 PlainEdge
  3. G10 SpyderEdge

For my money, I'd always take a plain edge - it's more versatile and useful in my experience.

Combo edge on a blade that long just makes it hard to use either edge effectively.

EDIT - One more thing - I will always trust a backlock over a linerlock. I've yet to have a backlock fail on me under regular use.

This is what you want: Benchmade 556 - Mini-Griptilian Plain Edge - eBay (item 180298634723 end time Dec-12-08 07:06:44 PST)

Same seller I've used in the past. That's a real bargain for a great knife that will be an indespensible companion. Why argue about liner locks versus back locks, when you can get an axis lock, superior to either! I'm going to get me a 556 one of these days, for times when my 615 is too large and/or intimidating looking.

Which of the three edges do you recommend? The choices are:

1. G10 CombinationEdge
  2. G10 PlainEdge
  3. G10 SpyderEdge

For my money, I'd always take a plain edge - it's more versatile and useful in my experience.

Combo edge on a blade that long just makes it hard to use either edge effectively.

Exactly my thoughts as well. Combo Edges have the tendency to anoy me pretty fast, especialy when it's a shorter blade. A good, sharp plain edge can cut as well or better in most situations. (Except you only want to cut ropes and bred;))

This is what you want: Benchmade 556 - Mini-Griptilian Plain Edge - eBay (item 180298634723 end time Dec-12-08 07:06:44 PST)

[...] Why argue about liner locks versus back locks, when you can get an axis lock, superior to either!

My favorite locking system as well. Damn nice for fast opening and closing in everday situations. And your fingers don't have to cross the path of the closing blade at all, as they have to do with liner- and backlocks.

I was a bit sceptical about the durability of the omega spring (which pushes the locking bar to the front), but i have yet one to fail on me.

Same seller I've used in the past. That's a real bargain for a great knife that will be an indespensible companion. Why argue about liner locks versus back locks, when you can get an axis lock, superior to either! I'm going to get me a 556 one of these days, for times when my 615 is too large and/or intimidating looking.

Here, here! Axis lock rules. Of course I'd love a microtech, but frankly I can't justify a $300 automatic. I carry a Benchmade Osbourne model. Discontinued. Love it.

Everyone seems to like the Spyderco knives, but frankly, I find them ugly, that's really my only beef, never owned one.

x2. Spyderco are the ipods of knives, many own them because "they're cool".

Agreed, and that's a great price. I have the Benchmade 525 Mini-Presidio, which I used to carry around with me. Now, I'm not sure where I've stashed it, but it's a nice little knife.

Benchmade-525-rw-12997-3038.jpg