knife-case

guzziguy

Here, here! Axis lock rules. Of course I'd love a microtech, but frankly I can't justify a $300 automatic. I carry a Benchmade Osbourne model. Discontinued. Love it.

Everyone seems to like the Spyderco knives, but frankly, I find them ugly, that's really my only beef, never owned one.

I never liked the look as well. Until i got my hands on an Endura knife. And when you have them in hand, it suddenly makes a bit more sense.

But i'm still more into sleek look and thumbstuds myself as well ;)

Which Osbourne do you carry? I'm currently edc'ing a 930 Osbourne myself. Absolutely brilliant knife!

I never liked the look as well. Until i got my hands on an Endura knife. And when you have them in hand, it suddenly makes a bit more sense.

But i'm still more into sleek look and thumbstuds myself as well ;)

Which Osbourne do you carry? I'm currently edc'ing a 930 Osbourne myself. Absolutely brilliant knife!

Product Details (Benchmade Knife Company - Premiere manufacturer of knives and rescue tools.)

960 in silver

I really want one of these:

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=3300

But frankly, I have no need for something like that.

My one problem with Benchmades is they don't grind the edge thin enough, and I need to spend a good hour or so working it down to where it cuts well. They've gotten better with some of their more recent models but it's still not up to Kershaw or Spyderco standards. Otherwise they're great, I have a half dozen Benchmades and I'm happy with them all, except for the time I need to spend regrinding the edges.

What do people use to sharpen their knives...I'm looking for a new sharpener.

I use DMT Diafolds. I used to have DMT's benchstones, but I wasn't using them often enough to justify keeping them (read - expensive) so I sold them. One thing with DMT sharpeners are that they do take off metal quicker than more traditional stones/sharpeners.

Coarse/Extra-coarse works well when I've had to thin the edge on some knives.

• 3 years later...

I don't have a favorite brand, Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw, CRKT all make good knives. I have good knives from all these brands.

Although I have more Spydercos than any other brand.

Ken, I like the Tenacious for the price.

Of course if price is no object, I just bought a Benchmade Griptilian gold class with a Krein regrind. Can't wait for that to arrive.

While not a knife per say, my straight razor developed a chip when it fell in the sink a few days ago so I ran it over some sandpaper as per suggestions online. The chip is gone but it is now a really expensive butter knife. I've tried stropping for close to an hour with no results.

Are there any local shops I could look for that could help me out with this?

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Having had the Benchy mini grip for a few weeks all I can say is - why aren't all knives like this?

6xfDKU7.jpg

Also the watch says "Style" on it so it can't be ugly as a mofo.

I've been using the same knife as my every day carry for years, and got one for my son last year.  We went with the half serrated blade, mine in black/Stainless, and my son with green/black DLC.

• 3 years later...

The titanium frame makes it worth more, and the blade steel (RWL34) could perform reasonably: https://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?t=70461

Ultimately, it's up to you if you like the design. You can buy a useful every-day-carry knife/utility folder for much, much less. This looks more like a gentleman's knife than a hard-use knife (e.g., the handle looks slippery), but the materials and fit and finish look good in the pictures.

• Like 1

I'm fairly conservative when it comes to knives. I've never had the money or the desire for "designer/custom/collector" products, so all my knives are mass produced.

Just as an example, you could get the Sypderco Tenacious folder for about $45 from Amazon and you wouldn't have to worry about it: https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tenacious-Plain-Folding-Knife/dp/B007CK1MNU/

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

The stay-at-home lifestyle has reignited my old hobby interests and I've done some research on archery, crossbows, and, of course, swords and knives recently (thanks, Witcher novels!).

Has anybody got serious experience with Benchmade knives? I've wanted one for a while, but they're kind of pricey compared to my usual stuff (Cold Steel). I don't have a large collection, but I do tend to favor medium-sized production tactical knives and martial-arts oriented combat knives.

I lusted after the AFCK folder (in M2 steel – long out of production) back in the day:

spacer.png

I've also wanted the full-size Nimravus with plain edge for as long as I've known about it:

spacer.png

And, of course, the Infidel:

spacer.png

On the martial arts side, I've always been attracted to stilettos/daggers (for their looks) and curved knives:

Fairnbairn-Sykes fighting knife:

spacer.png

Gerber Mark II (Vietnam) – I think the new-style serrations are an abomination:

spacer.png

Spyderco Warrior – ridiculously overdone, which is why it is cool:

spacer.png

CRKT First Strike (Steve Corkum) – handled one of these on a trip years ago – seemed a bit thick and heavy for its size, but I still want one:

spacer.png

Even better is the CRKT Sakimori – they were mostly known for low-end folders a while ago, but they put out a few interesting pieces from time to time (this one is also discontinued). I had reservations about their choice of steel (O1) for the price as it is prone to stain or rust without care and it is relatively soft compared to modern super-steel alloys:

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 2