Beer Reviews

The Monkey

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good god, 14% is high. How sweet is it, if at all?

this beer did a great job managing sweetness, the DFH 120 is a tough drink as it is syrupy sweet to me with a thick mouthfeel. This has an normal mouthfeel with a sweetness in line with Russion Imperials.

The challenge with high ABV beers is most yeast strains die at higher ABVs. You have to engage is different methods to or find stronger than death yeast to brew beers at higher ABVs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Went beer shopping with my brother today

IMG_4287.jpg

Goal was to pick up different beers because so far, I haven't tried a lot of beers and want to get into it a bit more.

How did we do?

Dark Erdinger is one of my favourite beers and possibly my favourite bottled beer. Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, I havent seen that for a fair while on the shelves around here.

Of late I have been enjoying 2751152102_ca27b3519d.jpg

Slacker, I think you did well, except that the title of the package should be "Exclusive NOT Belgian Ales" as none of those are Belgian.

Regardless, I enjoyed many a Zywiec (though not the porter) when I visited Krakow some time ago. Good stuff as I recall. I've seen it at a couple of places in the city.

Dogfish Head 60 is one of my favorites. The 75 Dan turned me on to at the Alehouse was excellent as well. The 120 is not one of my favorites. I've been drinking a lot of Stone IPA, Ruination, Arrogant Bastard and Arrogant Bastard Oaked now that it is available locally. All good stuff. I really like the AB. I've also been drinking Sweatwater 420 which is out of GA. This is one that is always available at the Langerado Music Festival. Now if only Bear Republic was available here. The Racer 5 and Hop Head Rye are excellent.

I'm a big fan of the Celebrator Double Bock. It's not cheap but worth the price, imo. Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout is another favorite.

If you like Celebrator you might like the Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron.