Westone 3 impressions?

ultros

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen many impressions regarding the Apuresound Etys, but there are a few posts made by jlingo at the other place. They are very coloured (especially being Etys in the first place), trebly, not neutral. The recabled ones can be delicious with certain musical genres (rock and fast jazz for me), but not for everyone. As I already told you, they might be a good choice if you already like the stock Etys, as Alex' recable improves bass volume and takes sibilance away.

I haven't got the Westone 3 yet but I am very curious to compare the two. I expect them to be totally different animals, and they appeal very different people.

Tony told me about the APS and I trust him very much but I would like to hear other ears opinion...

And you? Are you getting the W3?

Best!!!

I'll be getting them on its due time when the loaner program goes on, but I haven't heard of it, so not sure it's working. As things are going by, I'm afraid they'll take a couple of months or three to get to me :cool:

I'll be getting them on its due time when the loaner program goes on, but I haven't heard of it, so not sure it's working. As things are going by, I'm afraid they'll take a couple of months or three to get to me :cool:

I'll get things moving next week - I just finished my last final. =) As it currently stands, february is probably a good estimate when you'll get it.

IQ related to hearing now? What an arrogant sonovabitch......

That's not how I read it at all. it's more of a BA CHAM! WaWawA kind of comment, to me.

HeadphoneAddict is a good guy, with no axe to grind. I've always known him to honestly report what he hears, without pretension.

Sorry to dig this out of the grave, but I felt compelled.

That's not how I read it at all. it's more of a BA CHAM! WaWawA kind of comment, to me.

HeadphoneAddict is a good guy, with no axe to grind. I've always known him to honestly report what he hears, without pretension.

Sorry to dig this out of the grave, but I felt compelled.

I have no doubt that face to face or one on one Larry is a good guy. Most people I thought were tools from their posts were decent enough without the cover of the web.

He does however come across as the Pied Piper of the uninitiated and leaves at least me with the impression that he thrives on the attention. His dialog style meet impressions are so annoying I wanted to stick an ice pick in my eyes and temples while reading them. His love for the nufarce icon for example as a top notch amp for stax transformers is an example of why I have zero trust in this guy. He either has not heard a good quality amp drive a transformer box or lacks the ability to differentiate levels of enjoyment/quality.

I have no doubt that face to face or one on one Larry is a good guy. Most people I thought were tools from their posts were decent enough without the cover of the web.

He does however come across as the Pied Piper of the uninitiated and leaves at least me with the impression that he thrives on the attention. His dialog style meet impressions are so annoying I wanted to stick an ice pick in my eyes and temples while reading them. His love for the nufarce icon for example as a top notch amp for stax transformers is an example of why I have zero trust in this guy. He either has not heard a good quality amp drive a transformer box or lacks the ability to differentiate levels of enjoyment/quality.

Word. I'm sure he's as nice in person as anybody I've met at a meet, but his online persona annoys me. I especially dislike the fact that pretty much everything he reviews is mid-fi at best and yet he presents it as high-end gear. The Nuforce Icon example is a good one, in my experience at a meet, this amp didn't even have enough power to drive Stax Gammas well, so I have high doubts it can do miracles with the O2. Also, I remember him making a comment about how he wouldn't come to a meet because the state didn't allow him to carry a weapon. That comment alone made me more cautious about the guy.

After seeing him blow his top earlier in the thread, it comes across to me something like the following:

"HeadphoneAddict is one of the biggest tools I've ever seen online - an arrogant hack who is lucky enough to have money for good gear, masquerading as some shining beacon to inform the masses. Just kidding :p"

Also, I remember him making a comment about how he wouldn't come to a meet because the state didn't allow him to carry a weapon. That comment alone made me more cautious about the guy.

Oh...... oh dear. I suppose I should watch my back if I ever make it to any North American meets now :)

I've been to meets with him. The State does in fact allow him to carry a weapon, though to my knowledge he did not.

His main rig is an Apogee Minidac driving a Maxed Woo GES into O2s. That is of no real consequence, but it helps to know a person's reference system when reading their preferences.

I agree that a good deal of what he reviews is mid-fi kit, but that's a good deal of what people buy. You might feel that it's wrong for him to present it as hi-fi, but that's not the impression I get from his reviews. I'm not here to change anyone's opinion, but as a friend of mine I feel it necessary to stand up for him when he's called an arrogant sonuvabitch. I'll say not boo about his reviews being torn apart, but it irks me to see his character torn apart. That's really it.

Eh... I didn't think that IQ related hearing post was serious. I think that he simply felt insulted and decided to post a jab back. As far as questioning someone's integrity by assuming that their gear is broken when their listening impressions disagree - sure, that's a bit insulting, but reading between the lines I don't think that insult was the intent. Besides, the difference between eartips with the W3 is big enough that you could easily make that kind of assumption without thinking about what it will mean to the person on the other end.

I don't have anything against him personally.

Eh... I didn't think that IQ related hearing post was serious. I think that he simply felt insulted and decided to post a jab back. As far as questioning someone's integrity by assuming that their gear is broken when their listening impressions disagree - sure, that's a bit insulting, but reading between the lines I don't think that insult was the intent. Besides, the difference between eartips with the W3 is big enough that you could easily make that kind of assumption without thinking about what it will mean to the person on the other end.

I don't have anything against him personally.

Thanks, you and Sherwood and a couple of others are the only head-case'ers that I've seen handle this issue with some degree of maturity, probably exceeding my own. I just don't see this place as being fun, so that's good news for everyone else. I mean, seriously, the ASSumptions some people make over here about someone else are beyond belief.

Did you miss the part where it was a joke? What the hell is wrong with you people? :palm:

OK, Larry, was the IQ part the joke or the whole thing with the chin and all that a pure joke? I wasn't even focused on the IQ part, which I took to be a lame joke, but the idea of training your brain to move the sound around is just ridiculous. Please correct me if I am mistaken in believing that you believe in what you wrote.

Yup, you're definitely more mature than the rest of us. Thank god you showed up to show us.

That's not what I said or meant.

Changing the subject, this place really is impossible because anything the person under attack says, you guys will find something to use as more ammo. I was amazed that during my 3 day silence (just to see what would happen if I stayed away) didn't result in any hint of the attacks dying out - which actually impresses me with everyone's tenacity. So, I'm at a total loss as to what the proper course of action is now. You win.

OK, Larry, was the IQ part the joke or the whole thing with the chin and all that a pure joke? I wasn't even focused on the IQ part, which I took to be a lame joke, but the whole thing about training your brain to move the sound around is ridiculous. Please correct me if I am mistaken in believing that you believe in what you wrote.

The whole thing was a joke. FeedMeTrance ask, "I hope you are kidding because I'm gonna look pretty funny on the bus doing this" and I told him it was all a joke. Except for the crossfeed part.

Also, I'm sorry if I like to review things that I consider the "best bang for the buck", or review things that I feel don't have enough reviews out there or are very new to the market. If you guys don't care about those things because they are mid-fi then you don't have to read them. In the future I will try to be careful to not make something sound like it is better than it sounds (no pun intended)

Also, I'm sorry if I like to review things that I consider the "best bang for the buck", or review things that I feel don't have enough reviews out there or are very new to the market. If you guys don't care about those things because they are mid-fi then you don't have to read them. In the future I will try to be careful to not make something sound like it is better than it sounds (no pun intended)

Nobody was saying that you shouldn't review mid-fi gear or that you are somehow not worthy because some of your gear might fall into that category, including JP#s who was wrongly assumed to be claiming mid-fi isn't worth consideration. The criticism as I read it was that you think so highly of the Nuforce amp with the Stax trafo box and JP and others feel that amp is lacking. He had one at one point, so he was stating his opinion that yours was suspect because you praise something so much that he thinks is not worth the praise. That's it.

You don't have to apologize or change your style or whatever you are suggesting. You have to have a thicker skin and stick to your guns (no pun intended) if you want to hang around here, it's as simple as that.

OK, fine, it was a joke. If you don't like it here, why are you coming back?

Do whatever you'd like, and don't worry about what we think. We're not as mature as you are anyway.

Smart enough to predict the replies - "anything the person under attack says, you guys will find something to use as more ammo." Now I am having fun.