USB problems

So I re-imaged my PC a week ago with a custom XP image with SP3 and everything works beautifully, but my usb ports are acting funny. So far, only one of the usb ports in the back seem to see my iriver H140 and H320 as well as my wife's ipod nano without any errors and run full speed 2.0. If I plug them into any other port (4 total in the back, 2 in the front) XP will come up with a message that the device is unknown (ie. I need to install a device driver) or that it could run faster if I upgraded my ports to USB 2.0 high speed (in the latter case I can access my mp3 players, but I ain't waiting 60+ mins to transfer what full speed does in 9 minutes).

I installed whatever software I could from my asus (mobo) CD and the bios is the most recent one (and has been for a long while now). My PC specs are:

P4 2.4GHz

1.5GB of DDR400 ram

Asus P4P800 E-Deluxe mobo

Custom XP SP3 with raid drivers and other nifty things (vista themes)

Note: I also tried the usb driver that MS has on their site and it came up with an error that the usb driver was already included in SP1.

sometimes when i reinstall windows, my usb ports are all full of yellow exclamation points in device manager, right after installing the chipset inf files (which should be done before any other drivers...)

i think it happens when i start the install from a restart instead of a cold startup (from previous shutdown).

i always check device manager right after i install the chipset inf files and if i have the yellow exclamation points, i just shutdown and reinstall again. btw, this only happens to me like 1 in 25 times or something...

hope this helps you.

mjb