My Basshead Brother Needs IEMs

The Monkey

So my bro wants IEMs between 200 and 300 bucks that have substantial amounts of bass. I'm not necessarily talking about the tight, coherent bass that many of us like, but rather the bloated one-note bass that the kids seem to love so much. As a point of reference, he liked the super.Fi 5 EB, but they're too bid for his taste.

Whaddya think?

The jvc marshmallows do have a lot of bass but they are also an extremely muddy headphone. Nothing sounds natural about them. The problem with finding a bassy IEM in that price range is that manufacturers of high end IEMs are trying to make them sound somewhat neutral and plus bass heads seem to like bass slam which I've never heard in an IEM.

Why don't you just hit him in the back of the head with a shovel?

I was thinking along those lines too.

Hit him with a shovel (multiple times if you have to), then tie him up and force him to listen to your SR-007 until he appreciates clean, clear bass. :o

Edit: Oh wait, yours is an MK2... :P

On a more serious note, how about some Mylar Xbi? that might go bOOM BooM bOoM enough for him?

You should probably watch the back of your head from now on :dotu:

Welcome to Head-Case, sorry about the back of your head.

As long as you both don't hit me on the back of my head and shave me half bald while I'm out cold, we're good. :P

So, have you found an IEM for your bro yet? Maybe you should get the Darths that were going for tree fiddy on the other site. Let him bask in the thick, creamy, muddy, goey bass "goodness" of the darths. :P

I know it will cure this craving for bass. It worked for me(once upon a time in a land far, far away); as in I'm now very cautious of headphones that are known for bass. Except the L3000 of course...

male31-male-smiley-whistle-000073-design.gif

• 2 weeks later...
I think he's going to get the sf 5 EB.

He'll learn someday.

Not familiar with the Sf 5 EB but would suggest the Denon C751 as an alternative if he hasn't bought the sf yet . The C751 is a pretty decent allround IEM and certainly has more bass compared to even my sf 10 pro.

If you still haven't bought him anything yet you could try these Sennheiser IE 8 Review - Headphones.

They cost ~400$ in US but you could order them from Europe Sennheiser IE 8 Portable - computeruniverse.net for much less. They have adjustable bass and many people who has them are finding them bass heavy even on minimum level. I should be getting mine soon so I'll post impressions if it helps.