Planning on picking up the ATH-W1000s or the ATH-AD1000PRMs... or something else?

Chacranajxy

I'm finally in the market for some new headphones, and I think I've got it narrowed down. I'm looking at either Audio Technica's W1000 headphonse or their AD1000PRM headphones. The only difference I know is that the W1000s are slightly more expensive and are closed rather than open. What I don't know is whether the headphones being closed is a bad thing in terms of sound accuracy... since sometimes it seems that can cripple a pair of cans.

Basically, I'm looking for something that'll work especially well for orchestral/classical sorts of music. I'm slightly concerned about the bass being underpowered... I don't need to have my eardrums dominated by bass, but it's gotta be there and it's gotta be accurate. I'll be plugging these into my Pioneer VSX-80TXV receiver.

So which one of these is the better choice, or is there something else in this price range that I should consider?

AD2000 has the right frequency response, but its soundstage might not be the greatest for orchestras. Do a quick search for W1000 here and you'll see that it's probably not a good choice. AD1000PRM: I don't think anyone here's heard it, but at least from the reviews from Japan I've read they're not very bassy.

These next people have some suggestions to offer

|

V

Just adding my $0.02, the W1000s sound odd. They have decent clarity and all, but there's this strange sound signature that I strongly dislike. Like the instruments are echoing in the headphones.

This hasn't been my experience at all. I have been very happy with my W1000s. I find the bass control and detail to be very very good. I listen occasionally to full orchestral music though I prefer smaller jazz trio/quartet CDs. I have been listening to Bach's cellos suites lately, one a Janos Starker Mercury remaster and another a MA Recordings of the six Suites. Both recordings I found the W1000s to show excellent pace, detail and control of the cello notes. You may need to attend a meet where the W1000s are present because it seems for some reason with these cans the opinions cover the spectrum. Perhaps the source may have an influence on the perceived signature. FWIW I auditions JP#'s AD 2000's at the So Cal meet and found them excellent as well.

Naw, not really. I'd just heard good things about these companies' headphones, and I found some stuff that was in my price range. I've got a semi-ghetto pair of Sennheiser EH350's right now, and I looked at the 650s but have heard that they have some major issues. Apart from those, though, I'm not entirely sure where to look.

Let's start with...where are you? As in, what headphones do you currently have? How's it working out of your Pioneer? How good's your hearing?

EDIT: That was written before you posted what you have.

If you don't have anything less than freebie earbuds, you might want to start smaller, like Sony MDR-7506/-V6, and take it from there. The reason I pick those is that they're already pretty sensitive, so should be driven well by your Pioneer, have plenty good bass, and are decently comfortable (more so than Grados, anyway). They can sound a little bright (not sibilance bright, but if there's any sibilance anywhere else in your chain, it'll be enhanced...more like just a lot of emphasized upper frequencies bright -- it'll also force you to listen at more reasonable volumes), but you can get used to that -- even addicted. And if you're older and deafer, it might even compensate for those frequencies being attenuated.

EDIT: The above recommendation remains. I don't think HD650 would work well out of a receiver.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

Reks has it right: don't listen to idiots about the 650s. Those idiots probably didn't pay attention to people who repeatedly told them that the 650s need at least a decent source and amp to sound as they should. They've most likely got them connected to a portable amp and a bad sound card. It's evil, I tell ya.

Anyway, forget the Denons. They really aren't as good as people say. They're not gawd awful, but certainly not worth the money.

What's the rest of your system, and are you budgeting only for headphones? Do you already have an amp/source etc? All that will make a difference if you're looking for recommendations.

Edited by boomana
ooops

Reks has it right: don't listen to idiots about the 650s. Those idiots are probably didn't pay attention to people who repeatedly told them that the 650s need at least a decent source and amp to sound as they should. They've most likely got them connected to a portable amp and a bad sound card. It's evil, I tell ya.

Anyway, forget the Denons. They really aren't as good as people say. They're not gawd awful, but certainly not worth the money.

What's the rest of your system, and are you budgeting only for headphones? Do you already have an amp/source etc? All that will make a difference if you're looking for recommendations.

The only piece of equipment I've got right now is the Pioneer VSX-80 receiver, which I'm currently using to power my speakers. The budget is just for headphones. Most of the use for this is going to be my PC, which has an HT Omega Claro+ card installed. My computer's hooked up to the receiver via coaxial.

So basically, Denons and ATs are probably out?

Actually, better question: What's up with these "balanced" HD650's that I'm hearing about? It almost seems that balancing them basically makes them better than any other set in their class. And if that's true, that pretty much makes my decision.

So what's gotta be done to balance them, and does that + proper amplification really make these phones a clear winner?

So what exactly is meant by balanced, and what kind of cables would I be looking into if I went this route?

Balanced uses essentially a 4-channel amplifier to deliver stereo. Each driver is sent a non-inverted signal (L/R +) and an inverted signal (L/R -) for a push-pull of the audio signal. The cabling or more importantly the connectors are not really standardized, though I would guess that Headroom has done the most in this area. Common connectors are a pair of 3-pin XLRs (1 per channel), or a 4-pin XLR. Less common would be (2) 1/4" TRS plugs. Most people do something like recable (or reterminate if the cans already have 4 wires) with a pair of 3-pin XLRs, and then build adapters like a pair of female 3-pin XLRs to a single 4-pin XLR in order to ensure compatibility.

Well that sound expensive and complex. Meaning, out of my price range. But I'm definitely learning a lot of stuff that I'd be asking down the road when I'm no longer a starving college student.

So I've got a lot of ideas now... and I'll just simplify the question and see what people say:

What do you consider the best pair of phones for under $500 and why?

What do you consider the best pair of phones for under $500 and why?
I'll just tell you right now that people should assume you meant "...for your setup", because some actually will come back with HD650, but that wouldn't be a good idea out of a receiver jack. I have a feelling that the answer the "idiots" were giving you were taking that into consideration.

I already told you what I would do -- start smaller. Sony's. Blow the rest on dames, liquor and music.

If you're going to get the HD650, first you have to like it enough to try and amp it better. Second, it's probably just better to wait until you have the money for a good amp. Anything $200ish isn't going to be GREAT, especially if it's not a DIY offering at near parts cost.