HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

On the other site someone is claiming that they got an email from Sennheiser that a new can called the HD800 will be coming out early part of next year.

New Sennheiser Headphone - HD800 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Here is his post:

I e-mailed Sennheiser to ask them if they were developing/releasing a new headphone. 3-5 days later I got this response.

Thank you for your interest!

Yes, their is a new model The HD800 coming next year... They planning early next year.

I wil keep you inform since I have a few who adressed me their interest.

Best regards,

xxxx xxxx

Woooooooo!!! I'm super excited! Good thing I decided to hold off on getting a used HD600

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trusting that e-mail at all, looks like a fake thing just to grab some attention to the OP. Were it true, and knowing what did Sennheiser to go from HD600 to HD650, I'm not that excited, not sure about the direction they decided to go. However, were it a real improvement over the HD650/600, they'd be very interesting indeed.

I'd love to see a list of dynamic headphones that are currently in-production and compete with the HD-650, for approximately the same price.

Apart from the HD600 which are more affordable? Probably none. From an objectively measured performance point of view, they're quite irreproachable. But considering personal taste... we could start a debate hahahaha ;)

I heard some pretty credible intel about a year ago and at that time Sennheiser was pretty concerned about the economy and demand for high end headphones. I can't imagine they feel better about that situation now.

Then again there's the stand they requested. Who knows?

I don't really think that the post on HF is a hoax or an attention-getter or whatever, and the information is consistent with other comments made over time. Those Canuck Sennheiser people have been quoted before, iirc.

Anyway, I think I posted this info before, but Rhythmdevils met some Sennheiser folks at AES and had this to say about it:

"I was AES a couple weeks ago photographing for the daily that is produced for the event. There was a booth for Sennheiser, and Mr. Sennheiser was actually there! I didn't even know there was a mr. sennheiser.

So I asked his assistant about new headphone models, and she told me some very interesting things i thought you might be interested in!

They are working on some new electrostatic models. She couldn't tell me more than that because she said they were still in development stage.

She said also, that the HD800 would be coming out soon, i believe she said a few months. She siad it would have a completely new shell design, and a completely new driver. She was explaining that it would be more open air design like AKG- I'm not sure if she meant K1000 or K701."

The HD800 is coming out soon, I am certain of it. How soon is soon?, that is not known.

I'd love to see a list of dynamic headphones that are currently in-production and compete with the HD-650, for approximately the same price.

As Torpedo said, highly debatable. I for one think the HD600 is a better headphone than it's big brother.

Al -very interesting, thanks for the insight :).

I heard that whole "I emailed and got an email back" line back in high-school. I don't buy that for one second as anything more than attention-whoring and rumor-mongering.

Now, the HD800 or whatever it's called may very well be coming out. I won't deny anything since I don't know anything about it. But that post just sounds like trolling to me.

I was the one who made the post.

Just e-mail Sennheiser yourself and ask them.

That's what I did anyhow.

I copy/pasted the e-mail the rep sent me, I didn't know if I should correct the spelling mistakes, making people want to believe me more.

Only wanting to bring that e-mail to head-fi, and now head-case.