HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're buying headphones as an investment you're in the hobby for the wrong reasons. But look at Sennheisers track record. There were considerable gaps between the 580, 600 and 650. It's not like iPods or graphics cards. Buy and enjoy and continue to enjoy whenever HD900 turns up. It's not like the HD800 won't be able to run the CDs that come out by then, forcing you to upgrade.

Were you expecting him to hate it?

I truly think many were expecting him to tap the brakes, from reading all the inane posts awaiting breathlessly for him to opine. One could only guess it was to sigh relief that they would not be as tempted, having something to point / hold on to.

The best post of the days was that for $1400 you could get laid in Singapore - seems like that poster has a LOT of research to do. Even in Singapore dollars it was funny.

Myself, I'm just trying to see if the stinking connectors are any of these, and if I can snag some to start the balanced cable retermination on one of my existing cables, as I'll leave the stock alone, but have requested a additional cable be added to my order.

LEMO Circular Connectors

Maybe replacing the XLR on a stock cable won't be a waste as days past. [Flame suit on].

Nope. I was actually hoping that he would like them since I'm very interested in getting a pair. I was poking at the people who were waiting for his reactions because they thought the other early impressions were too enthusiastic or whatever.

Ah that makes sense, I got that same feeling as well. Damn you Tyll you hypester.;D

The only people that have posted have been Tyll and Jude primarly. Are you implying that their impressions aren't objective first impressions of what they are hearing?

Not exactly, only that most people would get caught up in the initial excitement of such a product launch. I can count on my buddy Ed to remain steadfastly skeptical and critical, as is his approach to everything he explores. Combine that with his rather picky ear, and a tell-the-truth-even-when-it-hurts attitude, and it is a recipe for impressions that I know I can always trust.

Furthermore, I'd be more interested in impressions from someone whose baseline is an R10 or K1000, than an HD650 or K701. Of course the HD800 will sound a lot quicker and more transparent than an H650, it's hardly a feat! Not to mention it damn well better, if Sennheiser has properly copied/ripped-off/emulated/choose-your-verb-here Sony's most recent high end cans as they appear to have.

I can remember a lot of BS from the Senn camp back when the 650's came out that they were a major upgrade from the 600's. Not that I'm saying the 800's won't be, considering the changes in design, price, and philosophy; I'm just trying to account for the launch excitement. I mean, c'mon, it's not like a new high end headphone gets released every week, or even month, so people have a lot of accumulated energy to blow off. Jude even admitted in his first post that he has been waiting for this for YEARS.

Makes sense...I do think that Tyll and Jude's impressions still have a sense of validity to them, or at minimum are more valid than your typical headfier. Though it appears Edwood's overall impression is similar to them, so I think all 3 combined confirms that the initial impressions are not only valid, but quite positive. I am glad he commented on the bass response as well.

I'd like to read Edwood's thoughts, but I'm not wading through the head-fi thread. Anyone mind linking to his post here?

Sure, here ya go:

JUst had a chance to sit down. Ugh my feet are killin me.

Met up with some Head-fiers in the Sennheiser booth. And had some time to check out the HD800.

First thing is first. The Sennheiser "Veil" is a thing of the past. For those that have been staying away from Sennheiser because of the laid back highs, say hello to the HD800. Treble response extends higher and with more clarity than the HD650 and HD600. The Soundstage is huge. Very open and transparent sound. The new HD800 really shines with treble and mid range response. Mid range being noticeably excellent. The only thing that gives me a pause with the very short time I had to listen to them, is the bass response. It's very flat and accurate, but bass heads might feel disappointed. But it's on par with the HD650. Which is not a bad thing to me. This is a high end headphone here. Most of the highest end headphones are often considered "bass light" by many. But the extremely fast treble and transients was so unexpected. And the juicy midrange was a delight.

Overall fit and finish is excellent. Despite the metallized look, the only real metal is the main part of the headband, the stainless steel mesh protecting the drivers, and the 1/4" plug.

The heavy use of composite serves to reduce unwanted resonances, and reduce it's weight. Speaking of which, they are quite lightweight. And very very comfortable. Gone is the vice grip of the HD650/600. The HD800 is a step up in comfort. They are far more comfortable.

Those that are familiar with the old Sony Qualia 010, will notice that there is some simliarity in the thin cone like shell for the main housing. The HD800 does not suffer the same "honky, echoey" like sound when it's worn perfectly positioned, but the soundstage and imaging benefit from positioning the drivers properly over your ear canals.

Speaking of soundstage, the soundstage is HUUUUUUUUUUUGE. Far larger than the HD650 (which was there for comparison), and makes my UE Triple.Fi's feel just so cramped and stuffy in comparison.

Oh, and in reference to the new Ring or Doughnut shaped drivers, they actually do have a hole in the center. I think Sennheiser should have made a hole in the housing to show this part off, but it would've left the driver more exposed.

Sennheiser has really outdone themselves. The long long wait was well worth it. The HD800 is truly a worthy successor to the HD650.

And then some.

-Ed

Oh, and one more thing. Sennheiser has really paid attention to third party cabling community. The Stock cables for the HD800 are simply the best I've seen. Period. Excellent conductor choice, and very durable, and mod friendly connectors. Looks to be a standard 2 pin Lemo connector. It's very sturdy, and easy to insert and remove. The cable itself is wrapped in multifilimanent nylon. It has a nice soft, cloth-like feel.

Even though I probably wouldn't be tempted to replace such an excellent stock cable, it's great to know that Sennheiser had made it easy for cable makers to create their own for the new HD800.

-Ed

I didn't mean that literally. I'm not even sure how you could invest in headphones and actually come out ahead. I guess I should be safe from Senn upgrades for a while if I do indeed get these.

It's pretty easy. You buy out of production headphones whenever you see a decent price and you wait a few months and flip for a profit (Or sometimes people wait for less or just do immediately on audiogon or another forum). There's a few people who do it and they make it quite well.

The only real risk is when a really badass new flagship headphone comes out like this one :) But if you aren't doing long term holding then it's really not a big deal.

It's a pretty low risk way of making a few hundred here or there or even a few thousand come year end depending on what kinda capital you have to work with.. it is at the expense of the community though and there are better ways of making money.

I have heard enough impressions that I now know it is back on me to determine if these are it, with whatever amp and cabling required to make them happen. While that may be close at hand, nothing will help until they are in hand, and compared head to head.

Were that we could all declare a memorium for now, as all listening is over, and any further comments from those who have heard (make that 4, including Bostonears) is likely to be derivative / selective memory, parsed into language that will mean less with each retelling.

Now, it is pay to play - and wonder who snatched the 20 units at Logan in Boston.

I'm extremely happy they've finally departed from the thick sound of the 6xx series. If I ever have money in large amounts spare I might even consider buying some. Not likely to happen, but it looks like a Seattle head-fier is ordering a set so I might get a listen at a meet in the future. :D