HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, this thread is very enjoyable to read even though I have no intentions of buying the HD800.

BOOOOOO!

;)

And FUN to read, :)

Yes. It's nice to actually see factual, on topic, friendly conversation without seeing industry folks being cheapshotted by some having some bizarre vendetta or having a bunch of banal, circular whining for pages on end about things that either the complainer was responsbile for but wants to blame other people or entities for or things that are simply beyond people's control to begin with. :)

It is within Sennheisers control to give us an updated release date, after puffing an earlier date at CES. TheDeliveryMan is the actual Product Manager, and has posted in those threads - he can, with about fifty keystrokes, give 100 early adopters, representing about $100k in direct revenue to Sennheiser an update on their committment.

Oh, also within Senn's control to tell us the connectors - but someone graciously leaked that after the squeaking became intolerable to some - and Tyll was given the info for the betterment of all users, IF he is able to get the parts (we all allegedly can).

True dat, however, that you cannot throw a rock at HF without hitting an agenda - so, might as well throw it hard.

BTW, I am #9 on the HR list, unless cancellations (International or otherwise) have moved me up - but, I _should_ be in group 1.

It is within Sennheisers control to give us an updated release date, after puffing an earlier date at CES. TheDeliveryMan is the actual Product Manager, and has posted in those threads - he can, with about fifty keystrokes, give 100 early adopters, representing about $100k in direct revenue to Sennheiser an update on their committment.

Oh, also within Senn's control to tell us the connectors - but someone graciously leaked that after the squeaking became intolerable to some - and Tyll was given the info for the betterment of all users, IF he is able to get the parts (we all allegedly can).

Couldn't agree with you more. That's not where my problem is in that thread at all.

My problem is when you start having people whine and bicker for pages on end because of stupid things that THEY did like using Pay Pal and having their money taken and blaming Sennhesier for that and accusing Sennheiser of false advertising and such.

Who wants to swim through pages of that kind of rubbish?

That thread is monstorously huge and a good chunk of that is from bloat like what I'm complaining about here.

I certainly would like to see and hope Mr. Willet is able to tell us all very soon a firm release date that we can count on and just be done with it. Sennheiser really could stand to be more on the ball with this.

I preordered several weeks ago as well. :)

True dat, however, that you cannot throw a rock at HF without hitting an agenda - so, might as well throw it hard.

Yes, I should know better than that by now.

BTW, I am #9 on the HR list, unless cancellations (International or otherwise) have moved me up - but, I _should_ be in group 1.

I ordered through Todd several weeks ago but I honestly have no idea where I'm at in the pile. ;)

I certainly would like to see and hope Mr. Willet is able to tell us all very soon a firm release date that we can count on and just be done with it. Sennheiser really could stand to be more on the ball with this.

Sennheiser's website says March / April and that is the only info. I have.

I spoke to the Product Manager in Germany on Thursday when Sennheiser UK did the UK Press Event at the O2 in London.

He says it's still on course for these dates.

That's all I know.

I'm as impatient as the rest of you as I want my own pair. I have heard the pre-production sets that Sennheiser UK have, but these will be doing the rounds of the dealers and I have to wait like the rest of you.

(PS- there are two "t"s in Willett) ;)

Sennheiser's website says March / April and that is the only info. I have.

I spoke to the Product Manager in Germany on Thursday when Sennheiser UK did the UK Press Event at the O2 in London.

He says it's still on course for these dates.

That's all I know.

I'm as impatient as the rest of you as I want my own pair. I have heard the pre-production sets that Sennheiser UK have, but these will be doing the rounds of the dealers and I have to wait like the rest of you.

Thanks for the information. :)

(PS- there are two "t"s in Willett) ;)

Sorry! I was typing too fast there.

Great UI work is great, no matter from whether it comes - all back to SAA/CUA.

OK, so the hd800 is coming. I'm going back to sleep, and finishing the amp to go with. We'll see if it changes my life, or at least is somewhat on par with the he60, out of their new amp. Well, or the BH.

Definitely "an homage" to the Apple Store going on there. Not that there's anything wrong with taking note of what works for the big boys.

There is a web tool in play that probably has something to do with that. The white house uses the same tool, but a different variation. Google uses it too.

I think it looks nice, but it all comes down to individual preference.

• 2 weeks later...
Let me gauge the mood out there: How are folks in line to buy these things feeling at this point? Are you considering dropping out or do you still feel confident about these headphones delivering the goods when they finally ship?

Why would they sound any different based on delivery date?

Let me gauge the mood out there: How are folks in line to buy these things feeling at this point? Are you considering dropping out or do you still feel confident about these headphones delivering the goods when they finally ship?

Not considering to drop out. The waiting game is killing some of the fun, and the talk about them sharing sound signature of the K701 was a turn-off, but I guess in the end, I'll just have to wait and hear for myself.

I do have high hopes.

Not considering to drop out. The waiting game is killing some of the fun, and the talk about them sharing sound signature of the K701 was a turn-off, but I guess in the end, I'll just have to wait and hear for myself.

Well, in my case, the 701s have been a great fit in my rig. Granted, the stock cable on the 701s had to go. I went for one of Drew's Black Dragon cables and I thought that helped those cans out a bit in terms of refinement.

The 701s are a very picky can. It takes very little for them to have that "dry" "neutral" and brittle thing going for them.

My concern here, in my case, is basically if I'm paying money for a glorified lateral move. If that's the case, then I may as well not bother so I'm kind of on the fence about cancelling my preorder.

If I'm going to spend this kind of money on headphones, I want something that's noticeably "better" across the boards.

I do have high hopes.

I'm trying to have "realistic" hopes. ;)

My concern here, in my case, is basically if I'm paying money for a glorified lateral move. If that's the case, then I may as well not bother so I'm kind of on the fence about cancelling my preorder.

If I'm going to spend this kind of money on headphones, I want something that's noticeably "better" across the boards.

How would anyone else be able to answer that question for you? The only real way to know is to try them out for yourself. Hopefully whoever you are ordering them from has a good return policy in case you feel that they are not to your liking. Even if they do not, I do not see you having much trouble selling them for little to no loss.

I still have my pre-order in and won't be dropping out. The HD800 has made me all kinds of curious so I have to try it and it'd be nice if I could abdicate my Qualia 010 in favor of it.

I also really don't care when it comes out - it'll happen whenever it's ready and I can wait, not in a particular rush. I don't get why so many people at HF are impatient about it. I would much rather want Sennheiser to take their time to get a product right instead of pushing something less than stellar out the door.

I wouldn't say I'm confident about the HD800's sound quality either. I'm not expecting it to sound much better than some of the other high-end headphones (like my Qualia for example), but if it doesn't sound at least on level then I would be really disappointed. There's already been quite some raving about the HD800 at the other site but I'm still dubious. I've heard the highest end of headphones for myself in different setups and the only one that I've liked was the Qualia (and the PS-1, and the HP1000 to an extent) - I don't like the HE90, R10, K1000, or L3000, and I never will either, and I highly doubt the HD800 will do much of anything that I haven't heard before.

How would anyone else be able to answer that question for you? The only real way to know is to try them out for yourself. Hopefully whoever you are ordering them from has a good return policy in case you feel that they are not to your liking. Even if they do not, I do not see you having much trouble selling them for little to no loss.

I know what you mean. I'm "thinking out loud" in this thread and just wanted to feel folks out at this point. I KNOW the only way I'll know anything for sure is to hear them for myself which is why I'm keeping my preorder barring something ridiculous.

I still have my pre-order in and won't be dropping out. The HD800 has made me all kinds of curious so I have to try it and it'd be nice if I could abdicate my Qualia 010 in favor of it.

I've never even owned or heard something up the ladder like those Qualias before. The AKG701s were my first step into the "more serious" head-fi arena.

I also really don't care when it comes out - it'll happen whenever it's ready and I can wait, not in a particular rush. I don't get why so many people at HF are impatient about it. I would much rather want Sennheiser to take their time to get a product right instead of pushing something less than stellar out the door.

Couldn't agree with you more. PLEASE don't rush these Sennheiser!

I wouldn't say I'm confident about the HD800's sound quality either. I'm not expecting it to sound much better than some of the other high-end headphones (like my Qualia for example), but if it doesn't sound at least on level then I would be really disappointed. There's already been quite some raving about the HD800 at the other site but I'm still dubious. I've heard the highest end of headphones for myself in different setups and the only one that I've liked was the Qualia (and the PS-1, and the HP1000 to an extent) - I don't like the HE90, R10, K1000, or L3000, and I never will either, and I highly doubt the HD800 will do much of anything that I haven't heard before.

See, I've never had any experience with any hi end headphones like any of those so I guess this will be an all new world for me. :)

it will lick your ear canals.

Cool! :D