HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, these HD800s are pretty damn good. Fuck all this "Unimpressive out of the box" "needs burn in" "the dingo ate my baby" nonsense.

I've been listening to them for 15 minutes: imac-->ECD-1/ns m192 mk2-->Pimeta(!)-->HD800 and I can say without hesitation that I have never heard a dynamic can like this.

So do they work well together ("synergize," but I hate that stupid cliched word) with the ECD-1? I'm getting one in next week. Hopefully it will do better than my 840C did.

Hard to say right now with the Pimeta as the bottleneck, but I anticipate that it will be a very nice combo. I liked what I heard tonight. But the Pimeta's batteries died and I gots no more batteries.

Get moar batteries!

Thanks though. I look forward to your further impressions. Even if ECD-1 + Pimeta + HD800 is like driving an F1 car powered by a lawnmower engine ;)

I dunno what the hell is wrong with mad markl but he's gone completely off the rails. I think his own bullshit has gotten to him, or as suspected, he has lost any streak of integrity he may have had at some stage. Glad I'm not susceptible to that brand of BS.

Ok, these HD800s are pretty damn good. Fuck all this "Unimpressive out of the box" "needs burn in" "the dingo ate my baby" nonsense.

I've been listening to them for 15 minutes: imac-->ECD-1/ns m192 mk2-->Pimeta(!)-->HD800 and I can say without hesitation that I have never heard a dynamic can like this. Unbelievable speed and snap; transparency and unbelievable extension. They disappear. I'm sorry, but these sound more like a pair of 'stats than any other dynamic I've ever heard. Damn good 'stats. But I can also hear the 650 in its bones, just taken to the next level (or several).

I'm going to stop waxing rhapsodic for a bit and let the infatuation settle down. But for now, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Probably it's just that my Pimeta is THAT GOOD.

I agree about the sound. My HD800/Woo WA6 offers stiff competition to my stats/Woo GES. And they're the only dynamic cans I've tried that can reach the speed, transparency, neutrality and immersion in the performance that I get out of my Westone ES3X. And yet I can tell the lineage comes from the same line as my HD600. Plus they don't suck from a $200 amp and sound gorgeous from a $1000 amp. Selling my Edition 9 to pay for these was the best decision I've made in a while, and I suspect the only way to get my stats to soundly beat this is to sell my GES for a KGBHSE. I don't know if it is worth doing that anymore, but if my ZDT doesn't noticeably improve upon the WA6, I'll maybe consider selling both the ZDT and GES and use the money for a Blue Hawaii. Or maybe not...

PS: My "what's in the new box" solution is having a UPS Store mailbox for deliveries.

Larry, how would you say the K1000 compares to the HD800 in terms of speed, transparency, neutrality? Thanks.

If you had to keep only one of the two based on SQ and pure enjoyment alone (not listening environment/cost, whatever), which one would you keep and which one would you ditch? If you then take all the other factors into acount, would your decision be different?

Vicki, you've owned a nice K1000 rig in the past IIANM. Any input from you as to how they stack up against each other would also be appreciated too, so feel free to toss your $2 worth into this thread. Thanks Vicki ! :)

Hard to say right now with the Pimeta as the bottleneck, but I anticipate that it will be a very nice combo. I liked what I heard tonight. But the Pimeta's batteries died and I gots no more batteries.

So is the the male version of a dead vibrator?

Dan's new avatar is great.

Well I listened for a while and compared them to my Qualias (both using SE) and the 800s are excellent headphones. So very smooth, detailed and excellent imaging.

As a plus they fit in those cheap flight cases so that's their new storage system. That way I can keep the stock box pristine.

As of right now I would give the edge to the Qualias for my preferences but that's me YMMV.

This is really dumb and I'm not sure if it matters or not but here goes:

When I registered my headphones on the Sennheiser site, it made very clear that it wanted a 6 digit serial number. The serial number on my headphones is 5 digits. There was a 6 digit serial number on the box and that's the one I used despite that number being different from the number on the headphones.

Any big deal?

Incidentally, I haven't seen a peep yet from Sennheiser confirming that registration. I registered mid day last Friday.

If you don't register properly, you won't have access to the tech. spec. and frequency curves for your particular pair - I would try again if I were you.

Andthe person who really has the headphones with the number you registered won't get his results either.

If you don't register properly, you won't have access to the tech. spec. and frequency curves for your particular pair - I would try again if I were you.

Andthe person who really has the headphones with the number you registered won't get his results either.

I did re-register yesterday with the number on the headphones. Your site asks for six digits so I put the extra 0 in the front of the figure on the headphones like the other poster suggested.

So now I've done it both ways. ;)

Please explain registering properly because I entered the number on the box which is the same as on the headphones with an extra zero and got nothing either.

Please explain registering properly because I entered the number on the box which is the same as on the headphones with an extra zero and got nothing either.

I don't think I've seen anyone yet get an email confirmation from Sennheiser for registering but I could have missed it.

I registered last night using the last six digits of the UPC as instructed by Senn on the website. Put another way, on the outside of the box is the S/N and below it is a much longer number that ends in the S/N. I took those last 6 digits and registered. We'll see.

That's what I originally did. I've basically done it "both ways" now so something has to work for me eventually. ;)

It is pretty funny. :D

Where to find the serial number?

1. On the one hand you will find the 6 digits serial number directly on your unit. It is printed on a label, plate or engraved.

2. On the other hand you will find the same 6 digits serial number on a label of your packaging. There you will find a 10 digits identification number. The first four digits are an internal code, the last 6 digits are your serial number.

Except of course the HD800s have a five digit serial and the box has a nine digit ID number. I guess they really are game-changing!

They really are exceptional headphones, though. Holy moley. :eek:

Finding it quite hard to pull off the usual multi-tasking while listening. Keep getting sucked into the music. I do sstill find them ssomewhat ssibilant on particular recordingss, but no one else sseemss to mind sso maybe itss jusst my earss.

Edited by Hopstretch