HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or as these are relatively new drivers, they have yet to fully burn-in. ;)

also as i mentioned to Ed today, they seem to really need a good amp and source to truly do them justice as they might lean more towards an unforgiving presentation of what's in the chain.

Edited by 909

I really had no intention of buying these as I so rarely listen to headphones anymore but the HF-2s have worked as a gateway drug as I have really enjoyed listening to them. Maybe I need to call up Tyll and get some of these for myself.

Dinny, if you would like to borrow the M^3 for the HD-800s let me know. It is still in the Pelikan case.

Yeah, portable amps just aren't cutting it.

LOL, of course the HD800's aren't exactly portable headphones you can toss into your pocket.

The HD800's are certainly slower than my R10's. But not overly so. Yeah, definitely not Qualia fast. But not slow as ""molassas" either.

Soundstage is larger and a bit warmer sounding overall than the R10's. The R10's still have better imaging. Detail level is pretty similar.

-Ed

LOL, of course the HD800's aren't exactly portable headphones you can toss into your pocket.

The HD800's are certainly slower than my R10's. But not overly so. Yeah, definitely not Qualia fast. But not slow as ""molassas" either.

Soundstage is larger and a bit warmer sounding overall than the R10's. The R10's still have better imaging. Detail level is pretty similar.

-Ed

I think you and I are the only ones so far that are mentioning the mid-range warmness if I'm interpreting and explaining what I'm hearing correctly ;D

-Ed

why post this shit on both sites? If I wanted to read drivel about running a can like this off a portable amp, I'd go to Head-Fi.

Edited by luvdunhill

BTW Sennheiser contacted me directly today and told me he wanted to resolve my issue with the HD800's.

He went on to explain that the HD800's employ a spring in each side of the headphone to assure proper fit and that they didn't know if this sound would go away as I used them more. From there he went on to state that the HD800's did not make the noises when I had them on my head and that it didn't interfere with my listening experience.

His idea of making it right was to have me send my brand new HD800's back to them and have them repair it.

Thank god Headroom has excellent service and Jorge gave me the option of returning the pair I have now for a brand new pair. (Which I am doing)

The worst part of the experience is when that Sennheiser explained to me that my headphones were "hand made" so each pair would be a little different and that purchasers should expect a differences in each pair.

That disturbs me a lot for a few reasons.

1) I have some nice watches which for the most part are handmade at least much more so than the HD800's and NO ONE in the watch community would accept a watch that had a weird creaking imperfection even if it kept time perfectly.

2) Sennheiser didn't offer to buy my pair back and send me a new pair?

3) If they can't get QA right for the "hand assembled spring/dampening system", what does that say about the rest of the headphone?

/rant

Wowza bad on Senn. HeadRoom has already shipped me a new pair, and I'm sending mine back tomorrow or Monday, depending on if I can escape from work for a few in the afternoon. Yay, HeadRoom, but I'm now leary of my new pair going bad, and I agree with what you said re quality control. I care most that mine sound good while listening, but why should I have to put up with a clanging wind chimes sound? Not in a statement product. Not right.

Larry, how would you say the K1000 compares to the HD800 in terms of speed, transparency, neutrality? Thanks.

If you had to keep only one of the two based on SQ and pure enjoyment alone (not listening environment/cost, whatever), which one would you keep and which one would you ditch? If you then take all the other factors into acount, would your decision be different?

Vicki, you've owned a nice K1000 rig in the past IIANM. Any input from you as to how they stack up against each other would also be appreciated too, so feel free to toss your $2 worth into this thread. Thanks Vicki ! :)

Right now my HD800 are much better than my K1000 #1478 (formerly Smeggy's then J-Pak's). But I'm sure I don't have the right amp for the K1000 yet, and I think I need to re-cable them. I brought mine to CanJam and didn't find any amp to really make them shine, although some were better than others. Mine are a little darker and bassier sounding, so not as transparent as they should be. I have an 8-watt EC ZDT on order but it never made it to CanJam for me to try, so I can only hope it will sound better than the K1000 did off the 8-watt Woo WA5.

When I heard Naaman's K1000 in February out of his Beta 22 I had to own a pair, so I traded my first O2 Mk1 for these from J-Pak. At the Feb meet we had tried Naaman's K1000 out of my Square Wave XL balanced and it sounded pretty nice although not as good as his Beta 22, but it has enough power to play loudly. My K1000 just do not sound as good as I recall his sounding. I'd wanted to compare mine to his, but we never got the chance.

Right now I have also tried the K1000 with some inexpensive speaker/headphones amps that I have laying around that do well with normal cans and stats - including 5-watt Travagans Red with AD743 (best) opamps, 12-watt Nuforce Icon (worst), and 8-watt Qinpu A-3 (in the middle). All three of these amps sound pretty nice with my O2 Mk1 or HE60 Mk1 when used with my SRD-7 Pro or Mk2. In those cases, like the HD800 the O2 Mk1 also beat the K1000. (my current O2 Mk1 used to be Naaman's). It's like trying to enjoy a Stax O2 off an SRM-1 Mk2 Pro - I almost think my HF-2 excite me more than the K1000 so far.

So, if the K1000 don't sound noticeably better with the ZDT, I may either re-cable them, or consider selling the ZDT and keep looking for a better amp. I am NOT ready to give up on them yet, but If I had to pick, right now it would be my HD800 out of my Woo WA6 (maxed with pseudo dual power supply and Sophia Princess 274b rectifier, but no DACT).

I can't wait for the robot-made Sennheisers with the trickle-down technology.

x2, a more economy minded version would be welcome. They can even use plain old plastic and a more conventional cup/band assembly if they want, as long as the driver is awesome I can live with cheap plastic housings, it works for the 650 ;)

Went for a local HD800 preview yesterday, I can summarize by saying they were good. But at their price, I wasn't expecting anything less.

The setup was a T+A CDP, with a Lehmann Black Cube Linear.

Very nice soundstage, not overdoing it like the K701. Imaging was precise, and resolution was very good. Clean, extended, smooth and transparent. Though all of my friends who went to the preview agreed that it definitely needed a better amp. The Black Cube was clearly struggling with the HD800, I had to turn it to 2 o' clock on the dial. Bass was accurate, but lacked the extension and definition that I felt was due to the amp. Slightly lacked in dynamics, which I also feel was due to the amp.

Oh yes, it definitely looks good (read: expensive) and it's VERY comfortable. Light, huge earcups, padding was just right. Cable was nice and solid too, you don't get any tangly mass like some other headphones.

The listening session was only about 25min, so please take this with a pinch of salt.

I need to fiddle a bit with the fit. I find the 800 very comfortable with one small but notable exception. The center of the headband feels like it is pressing down a bit on my head, making the phones feel heavier than I think they really are. The answer may be to stretch the headband a bit, but I am hesitant to do that. Is anyone familiar with this comfort issue?

I need to fiddle a bit with the fit. I find the 800 very comfortable with one small but notable exception. The center of the headband feels like it is pressing down a bit on my head, making the phones feel heavier than I think they really are. The answer may be to stretch the headband a bit, but I am hesitant to do that. Is anyone familiar with this comfort issue?

When is the next NY meet? You guys are really making me want to listen to these.

I also find them very comfortable. Perversely, this means I am constantly fiddling with them, trying to find exactly the right way to orient them on my head.

I also find them very comfortable. Perversely, this means I am constantly fiddling with them, trying to find exactly the right way to orient them on my head.

In my case, I was able to set them to a perfect size for my head almost immediately and unlike the 701s...once I put them on they stay exactly where I want and fit as snugly and comfortably as a glove, so to speak.

If I were a headbanger, I would have been long since out of luck with the 701s but not these!

[AK]Zip just announced the V3 for the HD800! Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - View Single Post - APureSound: The Ultimate Cable Manufacturer Introduces The V3 Headphone Cable

Anyone gonna bite? Is the stock cable really as inferior he claims? Not that I don't trust him, I'm just curious about others' opinions.

I did - #1, and delivered in person. Kinda like it, and no opinion as to what stock sounds like yet. Oh, and the hd800 finally seems complete with the Furutech 601s.

Currently listening to HD800s with my AE2 (mid gain) running on battery sourced from my Bel Canto DAC3 and you know what. It sounds pretty damn amazing and at max volume is uncomfortably loud. Figured I would let my ears make their own decision and they say "it is good". So much for portables not being able to keep up.

Thanks for that write up. I have two questions though; what was Naaman's source(was if the buffalo?) and what was his K1000 serial number? Could these two have contributed significantly towards the differences you heard, perhaps?

His source was the balanced Buffalo DAC (with a huge Dell laptop I think). I don't know his S/N unless he posted that in the K1000 thread on head-fi.

My balanced PS Audio Digital Link III and Apogee mini-DAC aren't that far behind the Buffalo, and my sources are all very good with all my other phones (HD800, O2, HE60, Jade, etc). I think the difference in our K1000 sound is either due to our amps or my cable, and most likely both along with different production dates of the K1000.