HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS: Have we found out yet what the deal is with the serial numbers and how we're actually supposed to register them?

The serial number on my box had just the right number of numerals. I would think that yours does too. ;) On the other hand, I still don't have an email back from Sennheiser with the frequency curves. :confused:

The serial number on my box had just the right number of numerals. I would think that yours does too. ;) On the other hand, I still don't have an email back from Sennheiser with the frequency curves. :confused:

I even emailed they email address they mention asking for them on friday but no response as yet. I'll give them 3 business days.

Just a thought here, but I reckon the 800s finally deliver a back-end good enough to really hear the front end of your system. I'm guessing the whole hobby will be revisiting the conventional wisdoms on various amps and dacs, and we'll begin to experience some reshuffling of opinion about a goodly amount of gear.

deal.gif

No doubt, Tyll, I only heard the HD800 from one system at CJ09 on which it started to live up to some of the hype. The HD800 will definitely either wake up a lot of people who've heretofore not owned such a demanding headphone, or it will drive them back to loving their nice little veiled HD580/600/650 once they realize their system isn't up to the 800 (which of course they will blame on the headphones).

Is there any precedent for an open-air monitoring headphone?

Yes - they are in use all the time.

But *not* while recording with an open microphone.

They are used (as well as loudspeakers) for mixing and editing (especially editing) on a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).

It's best to check an edit on headphones as you are more likely to hear it on headphones than loudspeakers.

Abbey Road used HD600's and Grace headphone amps, I think.

I use the HD 580 Jubilee and HD 650 with the Grace m902b, myself, but will switch to the HD 800 as soon as it arrives.

Finally got my HD800 today, serial #465 from TTVJ. None of the physical defects that have been reported.

The sound is closer to the Qualia than I previously thought - while not identical of course, they're awfully similar sounding in more than one way, but primarily in separation between elements and overall clarity.

Will have to burn the drivers in but I'm already satisfied with this purchase. I will almost certainly be selling the Qualia at some point in the future. I still mostly prefer the sound of the Qualia though (esp since it has moar treble) but the HD800 doesn't sacrifice too much in that area that I can still tolerate it.