HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And in response to the comment about instruments sounding right, perhaps audiophiles should start considering microphone, mic pre, and A to D converter synergy with their systems too.;D

I already do ;D

Clean uncoloured microphones, The mic. pres in the Nagra VI are about the best around and the same goes for the ADC in the Nagra VI. ;D:cool:

NVI_Red_case.jpg

Was reading the HD800 review in Hi>Fi+, here are a few excerpts:

...a last minute change in the ear surround material (the previous ultra-rare Japanese material was more prone to tearing than initially anticipated) and this meant a brief hiatus. This sent headphone fans on internet forums into complete apoplexy and started the conspiracy theories rolling. The boring truth is that no one died. No companies collapsed. No alien biowar interrupted the manufacturer. And no, the headbands do not cause giant pandas to suffer a loss of libido.

The HD800 is a serious piece of headphone gear. It demands use with ... a very good headphone amplifier...simply 'good' is not 'good enough' for this design. And no, that does not mean it's headphone amp fussy, just that when you hear how good the HD800 is, you get fussy instead.
Don't agree with the second one, which is why I quoted it. The Stereophile review also claims it's easy to drive, and they only measure the impedance (not even the frequency response). I'm tempted to write John Atkinson, since he probably has the ability to measure it correctly.

I still have no idea how to read Stereophile. The last issue I saw claimed that the Benchmark DAC1 is the best computer solution ever, and the Sooloos server was a product of the year?!?

They obviously know some things about equipment, but they seem utterly hopeless with computer and headphone stuff. Which reviews/reviewers can I actually trust?

Was reading the HD800 review in Hi>Fi+, here are a few excerpts:

Don't agree with the second one, which is why I quoted it. The Stereophile review also claims it's easy to drive, and they only measure the impedance (not even the frequency response). I'm tempted to write John Atkinson, since he probably has the ability to measure it correctly.

I'm curious what "easy to drive" means? I keep looking at Headroom's Impedance vs. Frequency graph and seeing that 600+ ohm peak at ~100Hz.

graphCompare.php?graphType=7&graphID[]=863

I'm curious what "easy to drive" means? I keep looking at Headroom's Impedance vs. Frequency graph and seeing that 600+ ohm peak at ~100Hz.

graphCompare.php?graphType=7&graphID[]=863

Looks like that peak is heading for 650...amp peak current isn't as important as steady-state stability....