HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The K701's soundstage is quite large and wide. It is one of the things I like about it. I don't think it is as coherent as the HD800's, though, meaning that the the distances between instruments aren't as well-spaced. This is kind of difficult to describe because all the sound is appearing inside and 'around' your head. I just don't think the K701's illusion of a soundstage is as convincing.

Here's a group shot of Team Top Ten Favorites. It wasn't easy getting everyone together, and one member (Jade) is actually missing, current whereabouts unclear. The Team has somewhat hastily found a substitute, the HP-2, though not everyone is convinced that it is a full-fledged member. Yes, the Team is aware that there are more than ten members. No, they don't intend to change their name.

The Team says they're ready to take on Beyers whether modded or not, Denons, whether modded or not, JVC and Ultrasone. :P

:eek: Curious are those in any order? Which ones are your favorite?

The graph for my pair I'm sending back is much the same. +5 was my zero. The 100-12k I think is the IEC standard for equalization.

clarification: I really don't care about the squeak but because others do and I have a pair that do squeak it ruins resale (which I may or may not use depending on how my KGSS sounds). Headroom hooked me up. Great service as usual.

The K701's soundstage is quite large and wide. It is one of the things I like about it. I don't think it is as coherent as the HD800's, though, meaning that the the distances between instruments aren't as well-spaced. This is kind of difficult to describe because all the sound is appearing inside and 'around' your head. I just don't think the K701's illusion of a soundstage is as convincing.

Here's a group shot of Team Top Ten Favorites. It wasn't easy getting everyone together, and one member (Jade) is actually missing, current whereabouts unclear. The Team has somewhat hastily found a substitute, the HP-2, though not everyone is convinced that it is a full-fledged member. Yes, the Team is aware that there are more than ten members. No, they don't intend to change their name.

The Team says they're ready to take on Beyers whether modded or not, Denons, whether modded or not, JVC and Ultrasone. :P

TeamTop10.jpg

Very nice Team indeed! When does the Fantasy headphone season begin?

Hello elephas,

I had the K1000 and they were my favorite headphoes,i am considering a pair of HD800What amazed me the most about them is the seperation of instruments and overall clarity,do you think the the HD800 are on the same level of the K1000?

I'm not the best person to ask about the K1000. I've tried it with several amps, including a Cary 300B, and liked it very much. But it clamps tightly on my head and becomes uncomfortable so I'd rather not use it.

Yeah, the HD800 has superb notes separation and clarity. I'm amazed too.

Well, the Senn frequency graphs are apparently coming in and ... they did it theeeeeir waaaay. :confused:

Hopefully someone from Sennheiser will explain more about the graphs.

Very nice Team indeed! When does the Fantasy headphone season begin?

There might be no season. The team manager has recommended that everyone forfeit to Team Source First + HD800. ;)

I think it's likely that K1000 users will like the HD800. The K1000 has a little bit of natural crossfeed, but I don't think it's really enough to make a difference. Its drivers are still too close to each ear and not much leakage reaches the other ear.

Maybe if there were two drivers per side, one behind the other, with the second one duplicating the sound from the other side but at a lower volume level, it would replicate the natural crossfeed of speakers better.

For a regular headphone, I think the HD800 does an excellent job of reducing the inside-the-head sensation. I really like it. I tend to prefer larger and more expansive soundstages and larger sized headstages. If the O2 had a little bit brighter tonality, a bit more treble sparkle and a larger headstage/soundstage, it would probably be my favorite for sure.

But I've only had the HD800 for one week and it's making a very convincing case. I'm definitely interested in finding a better dynamic amp now. I wish I had a WA5... :(

I got mine in today - looks pretty flat.

Does yours look like this one? Mine does and that's not flat that's a matter of scaling. That said +/- 3dB isn't bad.

What annoys me is that they don't give you their target diffuse field curve just the deviation. The geek in me wants to know.