HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am enjoying the HD800.

I think I expected too much from them though. This is not to say I don't like them, but that I was expecting a different type of sound signature, and this is not it.

Don't ask me what type of sound signature I was looking for, I just expected something that would make me go "whoa!"

But these are keepers. One thign I have noticed though, is that I do get some sibilance on certain recordings that I never got before.

I can finally post about the HD-800's. I listened to them Balanced with three amps; My Phoenix, an M3, and a B52. Now I'm not the biggest fan of the B52, every time I've heard it it's sounded bloated in the Bass. Well with the HD-800's the B52 was the only amp that I tried that made them sound good (Not great), with the m3 they sounded OK, and with the Phoenix less so. With the Phoenix they sounded kind of flat and un-dynamic. Makes me wonder what that idiot ipodPJ has been smoking with his raves about the HD-800 and his Phoenix. IMO it

I wonder if the sources for the amps at the meet might've been inadequate or just poor matches, considering that the HD800 sounds very good in my rig, even when amped by the Pico.

Next week I'll hopefully receive a Headamp GS-X. From what I've read, it has a very neutral and transparent character. I'm looking forward to hear what it can do when coupled with my Weiss DAC1-MK2 and HD800.

Now I just need a balanced cable for the HD800. Unfortunately Alex seems pretty busy and a 6ft APS V3 cable w. Neutrik XLR connectors and super nylon sleeving would cost me $350, not including shipping and 25% VAT. Too bad that the amp purchase pretty much left me with no spare cash. :(

Now I just need a balanced cable for the HD800. Unfortunately Alex seems pretty busy and a 6ft APS V3 cable w. Neutrik XLR connectors and super nylon sleeving would cost me $350, not including shipping and 25% VAT. Too bad that the amp purchase pretty much left me with no spare cash. :(

Do you have mad soldering skillz? I managed to re-terminate several stock hd650 cables 4 pin , 3 pin XLR balanced, (+ 1/4 + 1/8 inch) SE in an afternoon, pre Can Jam on my first attempt, thanks to DIY info on the web here and there. And they still work!

Empower yourself!

Yes the 800 is a funny wee animal indeed. I don't think it's necessarily a love/hate thing with them, I thought they were ok, better than the vast majority of schlep out there. I didn't find them very interesting sounding, nice but didn't quite tweak my nipples. They do have a shoutyness to them and their bass, while tight and extended, lacked power and effortless smack that I really like. They are comfy, really fit well and look ok, well, ugly still but I could live with it if they sounded more to my tastes.

I didn't have an extended listen and I didn't think I needed to. For my ears they weren't doing the things I really like. Thats not to say they're bad, not for me though and they're not planar :P

I won't mod the stock cable of the HD800. I'll be attending the upcoming Danish head-fi meet in two months and I want people there to be able to experience what it sounds like with the stock cable.

I'll wait and see how it sounds unbalanced out of the GS-X. Then I'll decide if it's worth it to get an aftermarket cable.

If Gamerphile (he's in Denmark, iirc) is there, he will have a balanced cable. And, Alex offers retermination for a reasonable price. You can also get some hd800 connectors from him at a reasonable price to roll one yourself.

Be warned that a replacement stock cable is (was for me) $163, so there are no cheap alternatives, save picking up an existing balanced cable, and use some hd800 connectors. Not the easiest thing to do, but there is help available.