HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Sennheiser's have a diffuse soundstage where you can't accurately pinpoint the sounds location. I haven't heard the HD800 yet but the HE's and the HD6x0 all had this effect, which is a bit like listening in a fog compared to something like the Omegas.

I agree the O2's have better pinpoint imaging than the HE90 or HE60. But they're also smaller images on a smaller virtual soundstage.

The HD650 and HD600 are worse than the HE90 or HE60 in this aspect. But the HD800 is different. I think it has very clear imaging and everything is very well-localized and well-defined. The edges of each sound image are nice and clear.

It might even be a bit better than the HE90 and HE60 and closing in on the O2's. Then add its large, coherent soundstage, excellent depth and layering, and the experience is superb.

Most Sennheiser's have a diffuse soundstage where you can't accurately pinpoint the sounds location. I haven't heard the HD800 yet but the HE's and the HD6x0 all had this effect, which is a bit like listening in a fog compared to something like the Omegas.

I agree regarding O2 vs HE60/HD6X0, but fortunately the HD800 soundstage is not as blurred or diffuse.

That's good news indeed. I really have to get my ass to the local distributor one of these days since they are only 15 min away... :palm:

The far side of the country then?

(Iceland is like 10,000 Sq miles bigger than Scotland)

Edited by Duggeh

• 1 year later...

I doubt it too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4023[/ATTACH]

I've stumbled into this forum from the other place. I recognise several names from there. However, you swear here, which is both surprising and quite endearing. I've been working my way through this thread and I'm enjoying it. There are some excellent posts and thoughtful impressions here. I doubt whether I have anything of value to bring to this forum. I think the banality of this post confirms that, but I do like to swear.

post-1574-12951158662936_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hoo-boy. Ken Rockwell, photo blogger and noted crackpot, reviewed the HD-800 recently.

This review was complete and utter bullshit. He's running the goddamn thing out of his ipod, or his Sony CDP which has "more than enough guts to run these headphones". Bull shit. Give me numbers, Ken.

I, like many others, read and trusted Ken Rockwell when i bought my first decent camera. It was a Nikon D40, and it turned out to be a very smart purchase. For years afterwards I would read Ken's reviews and articles periodically, but I never really dug into photo blogging, so i was largely unaware of his crazy.

Then I got more serious, started shooting more and selling pictures, so I started reading more critically. A good portion of what he says is beyond crazy, and he breaks what I decided was the fundamental rule of photo blogging: "don't trust anyone who publishes pictures you don't like".

Notable crazy:

1) The iTouch is a better photo tool than the iPhone, since there's WiFi everywhere.

2) Shutter sync is a camera's most important feature, and the SB-400 is Nikon's only reasonable flash

3) You should transport your camera around wrapped in a sweatshirt, 'cuz who needs bags?

4) Tripods are stupid, you should be man enough to handhold everything

5) Despite having zero on-the-spot feedback, high development costs and shrinking support, film is the only viable way to take important photos.

Now all he talks about is old leicas and medium format film, and apparently the headphones he got as a gift.

What a clown.

Edited by Sherwood

Rockwell says, "Audiophiles love audio and equipment, but rarely music."

Asshole. No, I have no music degree, I didn't grow up around music, I didn't play four instruments before I was 16. No, I don't love music. What an undereducated clam.

I suspect that statement about audiophiles is not far off the mark.