Need an amp for $200 or less

Chacranajxy

So I'm going to be getting some Sennheiser HD650s soon, and I'll be plugging those into a Pioneer VSX-80TXV receiver, which is going to be connected to my computer that has an HT Omega Claro+ sound card. But I don't have any amplification for the headphones. My budget for an amp maxes out at 200, which I realize isn't a lot, but is there still an option at or below that price that will still net me a sizeable improvement in sound quality?

I know some folks like the original lunchbox, but I've not heard it. If you're going to get 650s, I'm going to say use your receiver while saving up some money and taking time to do a bit more research into what's available. Also, if you're looking to try the Senn sound, why not consider the 580s or 600s? They tend to not be as picky with amps as the 650s, and you should be able to pick up a used pair fairly easily and for less money than the 650s.

I know nothing about this amp but it meets your budget: Lunch Box

The lunch box FWIW sounds pretty darn good. Craig has updated the laconic version to create that nice spiffy version with a hi/lo switch, better power supply, better volume pot, and when I had it for my summer meet last year, people enjoyed it. Outside of DIY I am not sure if you have much options.

i don't know about the new lunchbox, but the old lunchbox was surprisingly good.

personally, though, i'd try the 650s out of the receiver and see how you like it before buying a headphone amp.

The new one is better. More power, less background noise, a really nice match if the senns were your one can.

I agree with ER and boomana regarding the receiver. Check it out, you may like how it sounds. Depending on the receiver, a lot of them have EQ controls, which is fun to use with that can, as you can bring down some of that bass energy around 100-200 hz and add some volume around 10 khz if you need it.