What are you listening to Part Two

deepak

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R-22311-1104072043.jpg

Spectral - "Diffuse."

One of my favorite albums and I simply cannot get over how extraordinary the production is, at least as far as electronic music goes. Shpongle 1 and 2 were good but this is on a completely different level - as dynamic, uncompressed, fluid, organic, layered, and multidimensional as anything I've ever heard. The music is pretty off the wall too, extremely difficult to describe as it completely defies genres and spends its time somewhere between dub, progressive trance, and Goa. It's somewhat similar to Jaia in feel at times especially when it comes to organic fluidity, but the last time I heard this kind of frankly insanely obsessive attention to detail combined with a complete and utter disregard for genre conventions was on some of the early Nile albums (to make a strange cross-genre comparison). Spectral's older stuff was classic Goa but here they were really in new territory, and there hasn't been anything much like it since, either.

This came out on Blue Room Released but whereas label-mates Juno Reactor, X-Dream, Raja Ram, etc went on to have illustrious careers after Blue Room folded, Spectral went bust. Too bad, this is as good as anything Blue Room ever put out.

I may have ranted about this disk multiple times already. But that's only because it rules so very much.

I just read the review of this album and really want to pick it up. Not an oud fan as far as I know, but it seems like a very cool album.

Its a good album. I expected it to sound a bit more foreign than it does, which could be good or bad. Its an interesting listen though, and sounds terrific.

Oh and check back again tonight :)

Its a good album. I expected it to sound a bit more foreign than it does, which could be good or bad. Its an interesting listen though, and sounds terrific.

Oh and check back again tonight :)

Haven't heard that yet, but Le Pas Du Chat Noir was great. I'm going to go find it and listen to it again.

c4358bacd7a06d4f09738110.L.jpg