What are you listening to Part Two

deepak

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was: Peccatum, Lost in Reverie -- one of my more favorite albums of the genre, especially with its superlative use of dynamics -- not just soft interludes, but it actually takes a while to get started, and intersperses the metal with...uh...non-metal. "Black Star", in particular, rocks my world -- clean singing against full-on blast beats. It really does not get any better than this.

Now: The Devics, If You Forget Me... -- can't stop starting this album over, it really is good. Cabaret/honky tonk/blues/Nick-Cave-ish hard rock/dream pop/Calexico-ish nightclubby stuff/Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood/other...and yet sounding like none of those.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

I kind of like it. It takes awhile to embrace atonality. Have you heard the Berg violin concerto? Pretty fantastic.

I haven't given up. Thanks for the Berg rec. I listened to the first movement on youtube and liked what I heard. Going to have to make a purchase.

I have the entire studio collections of the following and I am listening to them in order of release:

Dream Theater

Tool

Deftones

Earshot

Chevelle

Rise Against

Disturbed

A Perfect Circle

Russian Circles

Pelican

Red Sparowes

My Sleeping Karma

Paging elnero: anything glaringly missing?

Cya in a month or so.

I have the entire studio collections of the following and I am listening to them in order of release:

Dream Theater

Tool

Deftones

Earshot

Chevelle

Rise Against

Disturbed

A Perfect Circle

Russian Circles

Pelican

Red Sparowes

My Sleeping Karma

Paging elnero: anything glaringly missing?

Cya in a month or so.

You've got a couple on there I'll have to check out myself. If you like Dream Theater you might also try Riverside, Fates Warning and maybe Coheed & Cambria and Carpark North. On the instrumental side you could try Sleep - "Jerusalem", Zebulon Pike and Mogwai. The two other bands outside of some you've listed that I've really been taken with lately are Shrinebuilder and Isis (I can't believe I only gave them a try recently, their last show before disbanding is in Montreal tomorrow night :( ) with an honorable mention to Gomer Pyle's - "Idiot Savant" which has been getting quite a bit of ear time.

Discovering new stuff is so much fun, I've been soaking up all kinds of new music lately, mostly on the heavier side this round but I listen to a fairly wide variety of music so I'll try just about anything.

steely-dan-aja-album-cover-1.jpg

steely dan - aja (cisco vinyl)

gold.jpg

ryan adams - gold (vinyl)

miles_davis-workin_180gr.jpg

miles davis quintet - workin' (dcc)

particularly "It Never Entered My Mind", a track I've been fascinated with the past couple of months. it feels so much like a cold sad city during the holidays. awesome.