Speaker Cable

The Monkey

Now for the dumb questions.

I've never built a speaker cable. I want to do something quick and easy to test my AE2 speakers to see if the stock cable is picking up RF. Can I just use two separate runs of Mogami, using all four conductors? I won't be terminating at this point, just twisting the strands. Is this basic premise correct?

Are you talking about the speaker cable that goes from the right speaker to the left or the RCA cable that comes from the source?

The speaker cable that goes from right to left.

For a speaker cable you only need two wires to each but you can parallel connect conductors as you want. Just make sure you don't connect the wrong ones... :o

Makes sense. Thanks.

Does it seem to pick up the signal better/worse when you move the speakers cable around? What about the RCAs? I would think there is a better chance of the RCAs being the culprit but I could be wrong.

I'm with naaman on this one, especially since Vincent said that unshielded XLRs had been a problem in the past as well. Someone correct me if I'm wrong buy I think line level signals are much more prone to noise and that's why you hardly ever see shielded speaker cable.

Vincent, if you need some shielded RCA's I've got a spare pair kicking around I could send your way.

I also thought it was the RCA's, but they are shielded and do not introduce interference in other setups in the same location. Further, the noise is still present even when I remove the RCAs from the equation (i.e., everything is plugged in EXCEPT for the RCAs). I suppose it could be the power cable or a ground loop, but wouldn't that be in both speakers?

The noise does not seem to change when I move the speakers around, but I have not moved them into another room.

Thanks. :doghuh:

The problem is I don't know where that should be. Do I tie the shield to one of the - binding posts? There is really nothing else to tie it to. Should it be tied to the chassis of the speaker containing the amp?

Yes, you can just tie the shield to one of the '-' binding posts at the speaker with the amp in it.