Phiaton

Dusty Chalk

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do look pretty naff but the Stereophile review (Wes Phillips) is very positive --"an awfully good closed-back headphone...admirable [music] delivery device." I think they look like they've been assembled from the detritus of an 80s wine bar as imagined by a part-time thug, part-time delivery boy from Leeds. But maybe they sound great. Or good.

k

I've seen those mentioned before. They've always looked like style over substance to me. The layman is starting to accept the idea of expensive luxury headphones, which is theoretically great, but in practice lots of mediocre stuff dressed up in pretty wood and leather and chrome overalls is going to pollute the market, and high-end publications, being the sellout pigs that they are, will drool all over them and lavish endless praise. In the end, it's the audiophile that will suffer, as usual.

But don't let my pessimism distract you from taking one for the team and getting a pair. I swear, I will read your impressions very attentively!

At least they're not charging more for them. I wonder if this will force Sennheiser, AKG, Beyedynamic, etc. to release competitive models to stomp the newbies into the ground. They must be losing market share already to the growing IEM companies (e.g. Etymotics, Ultimate Ears, Westone, etc.).

Not according to this page, it's not (pleather). Of course, "leather" could mean anything from lambskin to suede to waxed, so it's all moot until someone actually feels it. And then it's still moot, to everyone but that person.

Oops, silly me. I probably just assumed that =(.

I wanted these like months ago but thought they'd never get released. I'm totally not in the market anymore, though, unless it can outperform DT770 for a similar price.

I unfortunately have yet to find a magazine hi-fi reviewer who knows dogshit about high end headphones. I enjoyed the GS-1000, but anyone who has anything good to say about those highs must be eating dogshit and putting dogshit in their ears, and I've yet to read a review that even comes close to calling them bright.

Koss KSC35s can outperform DT770s for 1/8 the price.

I have the newer DT770/250, and to be perfectly honest, they are my least favorite of the headphones I own. I keep them because they're comfortable, closed, rugged, and relatively inexpensive (my personal requirements for work cans). If you can name others with those same qualities but better sound, I'm 100% open to suggestions.

Isn't Wes Philips the guy who says that the AKG 701s are the best cans in the universe? He has also rated highly more than a few headphone amps which most people would take issue with. For some strange reason I have developed a real skepticism for anything Wes raves about.