Official Head-Case Audio Confessional (post your (audio)sins here)

n_maher

I'll believe it when I see it :)

There's precious little to change since any change would necessitate the sale of gear.

Headphone Rig

Transport: Arcam - would only make a change if it fails somehow.

DAC: The Hertsens - not going to sell it.

Amp: The Menace, not going to sell it.

Headphones: HD650s + HF-1s, pretty content with these for as much time as I get to spend with them.

Soldering Rig

Source: Duet - better than it needs to be so why change?

Amp: SimpleSE - can't see any need to upgrade or change this, ever.

Speakers: ok, you got me, these will change, but the new ones are bought and paid for already so it doesn't count.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buying property is seldom a bad idea, but I can say from firsthand experience that nothing prepared me for the financial shock and awe of home ownership. yikes.gifknuckledragger-albums-smileys-picture234-spending.gif

home owners insurance costs are astounding. still, I love my home so much, and have never regretted it's purchase for an instant.

my headphone rig is stable, HD800 not withstanding, and my TT is safe from major change in 09 aside from tweaks, but speaker amplification will change.

home owners insurance costs are astounding.

Maybe it's because our house is a modest one, but we never really thought our insurance costs is all that high, especially considering what they cover. Of course, it probably helps that we get discounts for having our home and auto insurance through same folks.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me father, for I have sinned. I have spent the last year listening and attempting to perfect many, many albums - both for customers and myself. I obsess over the sound regardless of genre. I spend hours on end tinkering with the EQ until I get all my music to sound life-like and good. Then, having heard it so many times, I resort to backing it up and not listening to it for months.

I refuse to remaster for charity.

I also envy Mr. Aardvark's jazz collection.

I envy Augsburger's cool sounding DAC and digital rig.

I envy most peoples DIY skills here and always lust over the pics of DIY amps, dacs and speakers.

Heaven, have mercy on me!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me, Padre, for I have sinned... I did not fully appreciate the Nugget Audio Beta22 and sold it (to another HCer for cost of parts if it means anything) and I long for its aurilicious sounds. I would sell all my amps if I could get it back.

In addition, I was floored by the sounds of a Rudi amp at a meet. From this experience, I learned the need to level the volume when comparing amps. Having always listened at moderate volumes with headphones for fear of hearing loss, my near virgin ears screamed in ecstasy when someone cranked the volume to heavenly levels on some Journey tracks.

At the beginning of my church membership, I bought a SR-71 and eventually an original Hornet (both sold). I sold the Hornet when I realized the sound of a $100 PINT kicked its ass and did not require 400 hours burn-in, to boot.

And as with many brother HCers, I have wanton lust for gear and bling bling.

Finally, my only Stax experience was a brief ownership of Stax SR-001 MK2. Alas, the people in Japan must have extraordinarily small heads because the Stax didn't fit my melon, so I sold it.

Forgive me, senor postjack, as I am currently on my 5th round with the HP1000's. I simply never learn to let them go, or to not let them go. Pray that this will truly be my last time with them:p

Yea, the HP1000 is a super awesome can, but seriously, have you heard about the HD800? Sounds like it will be the hot can. We all know money is tight, so you might have to sell a piece of gear to pick one up. Something that could maybe fetch ~$1400 on the market.

You need to be banned from buying HP1000's for a few years. That'll teach you to stop selling and rebuying them every few months. ;D

Its like crack - every time I am able to weane myself off of it, I end up coming back. I need to go to Hp1000 rehab for real:palm: everytime she leaves me, the itch just comes back and I end up scratching it:palm:

Yea, the HP1000 is a super awesome can, but seriously, have you heard about the HD800? Sounds like it will be the hot can. We all know money is tight, so you might have to sell a piece of gear to pick one up. Something that could maybe fetch ~$1400 on the market.

I am not sure if the HD800 will absolve my affliction for the wonderful drug that is known as HP1000. Billy said he would let me have a sniff though when it comes in...though who knows what he will ask for in return:p