What do I need in terms of vinyl accessories?

humanflyz

I'm getting ready to buy some accessories for my incoming turntable, and while I have a list in mind, I would like some recommendation/suggestions since this is my first time entering the analog world.

I know I need the following:

1) stylus force gauge: probably will get the Shure one, unless there is a compelling reason to get a digital one?

2) Spirit level

3) Record mat: I have no idea how to choose which one to get.

4) Brush: Again, there are a ton of options, and I don't know where to start.

5) Record sleeves

6) Test record

7) Cartridge alignment: there seems to be different alignment systems for different arms, so any information?

8) Record cleaning system: I will probably hold off on this initially, though I do plan on getting a Nitty Gritty/VPI down the road.

Anything else?

shure is good to start, but there is a guy on agon right now with $40 digital gauges. looks just like mine. digital gauges are nice, but the Shure is still accurate.

see if your table has a free alignment tool at vinylengine.com.

for a brush, any $20 carbon fiber brush will do. don't touch the bristles with your hands/skin.

for record sleeves, go polylined.

I think there is a general misconception that you "need" all kinds of crap to play a record. I have a very nice rig but I do not have an alignment tool other that the thing VPI provides, I don't have a mat, I don't have a test record and I use regular old levels to accomplish leveling (see JP). It's always fun to research and buy gear, though, so here are my 2 cents on some that I think are good.

I like the thick plastic outside covers for my good albums, and I always replace the inner liner with the paper kind that are polylined (see PJ) on the inside. I get both from TTVJ.com.

I have a two-layer kind of bruch that seems ok, but it is not made anymore so I would just find a decent largish carbon fiber brush (see PJ). I have to admit to being curious about the Big Brush with static ground. Anybody tried it?

One addition that I think is helpful is a stylus brush with fluid. I like the Lyra SPT, which comes with a brush.

Enjoy and don't stress the vinyl thing! It's easy and fun. ;D

I found the basics to be somewhat overwhelming at first, so I found a competent local tech to set everything up. I made sure to buy my cartridge from him, and now we're drinking buddies.

Now that I can comfortably and happily play records, I'm more interested in the tweaky aspects of vinyl. When I tried (and failed) to set the thing up myself, it was mistracking, distorting, damaging my vinyl, and removing any enthusiasm I had for the medium.

What you need is proper tracking force, overhang, anti-skate, alignment, and leveling. The expense of the tools to accomplish that can be prohibitive, so if you know anyone over 50, or have a good shop nearby, I highly recommend having it done right the first time 'round.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an anti static brush and will hold off on the gauge until I get a new cartridge. Comes with a mat, but I'll probably get a new one at some point, so I'm interested to see if there are any recommendations on those. Is there something wrong with the sleeves that come with the record? Should I clean records that aren't dirty? Is there a 'in the sink' cleaning method that doesn't require any other hardware? WTF is a spirit level? :)

I have an anti static brush and will hold off on the gauge until I get a new cartridge. Comes with a mat, but I'll probably get a new one at some point, so I'm interested to see if there are any recommendations on those. Is there something wrong with the sleeves that come with the record? Should I clean records that aren't dirty? Is there a 'in the sink' cleaning method that doesn't require any other hardware? WTF is a spirit level? :)

More commonly known as just "a level". its the little plastic bar with the little plastic tube in it with the bubble in the little plastic tube. You set it on a surface and if the bubble lines up inbetween the lines in the tube, the surface is level. It is very important that a turntable is level.

Any polylined record sleeve is fine. Straight paper record sleeves have the potential to scuff up a record. Oftentimes more audiophile type releases come with polylined record sleeves, these I don't replace.

For a long time now I've been cleaning brand spanking new records before I play them, something about manufacturing oil getting on the cartridge. But the other night I was like fuck it, I am tired of cleaning new records. :)

But a cleaning machine does make a big difference on dirty records. I saved a bunch of classical LPs from Goodwill this past weekend for $1.19 each. They were dusty as hell, but after a dry brush and a good scrubbing and deep clean, they are VG+.

Ah, just a standard level. :)

Thanks for the help guys. So is there any way I can clean my records without a fancy machine?

Any recommendations for a good record mat? When I pull the record off the player there is a lot of static I've noticed... and this is after spining it on both sides and using the antistatic brush. Might just be where I have the table now. We'll see if this improves once I've moved it to its permanent location.

Thanks for the help guys. So is there any way I can clean my records without a fancy machine?

I use a damp microfiber cloth, it seems to work well enough for most of my records. For the truly dirty records which I get from garage sales & so forth, I wash them off in the sink as if I'm doing dishes, then wipe them dry with a microfiber cloth. It seems to work well enough, I don't have enough records yet to justify a proper record cleaning machine.

I use a damp microfiber cloth, it seems to work well enough for most of my records. For the truly dirty records which I get from garage sales & so forth, I wash them off in the sink as if I'm doing dishes, then wipe them dry with a microfiber cloth. It seems to work well enough, I don't have enough records yet to justify a proper record cleaning machine.

Ditto. I pretty much follow the same routine, and it seems to work just fine.