ECD-1 Internal Pics

Sherwood

I had occasion to open up my ECD-1 a few nights ago to dim the bright blue LEDs, and I thought I'd take some pictures.

I didn't have the proper hex wrenches for the digital section, so the aluminum cover remains in place for now. Should anyone be dying to see it, I'll happily pop it back open.

The external hex bolts were a bitch to get off, so I had to dremel two of them into flathead bolts. Having done that, the cover comes off easy now :)

dsc4140oo0.th.jpg

dsc4139wp9.th.jpg

dsc4142ot3.th.jpg

dsc4143hs3.th.jpg

dsc4145ny8.th.jpg

I'm a big fan, so far. It was contending with 0404 USB, though, so I should be.

My experience with ~$1000 DACs is limited, but I prefer it to the Benchmark without a doubt. The soundstage is especially fun. I feel like my room got about 5 feet wider and 3 feet deeper after plugging it in.

Do I dare ask why you had to take the top off?

2 reasons:

1) The LEDs were bright blue, and bright blue LEDs are a migraine trigger for my wife. I'm lucky enough to be married to a woman who enjoys my system, so I'd like for her not to have to contend with that

2) I open up everything I own as a matter of principle. I have little to no idea of what I am looking at, but i still like to see it.

I'm sure I can snag two non-mangled hex bolts should I decide to sell the ECD-1 at some point.

2 reasons:

1) The LEDs were bright blue, and bright blue LEDs are a migraine trigger for my wife. I'm lucky enough to be married to a woman who enjoys my system, so I'd like for her not to have to contend with that

The LEDs on my ECD-1 are anything but bright.In fact they are almost invisible in daylight and they don't bother at night.

I love it this way and I've praised the Electrocompaniet designers for their thoughtfulness but maybe the former owner has modded it.

There is a ECD on ago now if anyone is interested.

AudiogoN ForSale: Electrocompaniet ecd1 dac

That would be mine now. >:D

Looking forward to comparing it to the North Star.

Also, not a fan of the damn blue LEDs. But they're damn near ubiquitous at this point. Except for our Penguin friend of course.

Edited by The Monkey
Added some shit

I'm a big fan, so far. It was contending with 0404 USB, though, so I should be.

My experience with ~$1000 DACs is limited, but I prefer it to the Benchmark without a doubt. The soundstage is especially fun. I feel like my room got about 5 feet wider and 3 feet deeper after plugging it in.

I had the DAC1, too. The North Star smokes it in every way. Aside from the soundstage, what are some other differences you've noticed between the ECD-1 and the DAC1?

I really, really like the top end. Being reasonably young and capable of hearing to about 18khz, I'm somewhat sensitive to grainy treble. Even if there isn't musical information above 15 or so, which I thoroughly believe, there is room for error. I really feel the treble is much more natural on the ECD-1, without losing any detail that I've noticed. Hi hats and hand claps sound excellent, both in timbre and in soundstage.

The midrange is what is often praised on this unit, and while I have no complaints it doesn't strike me as being revolutionary. It isn't scooped all to hell, which is nice. Reed instruments have a lot of bite, which is really what I listen for.

I didn't dislike the DAC1, I just didn't feel it was an improvement enough over cheaper gear (0404, Oritek, VDA) I had enjoyed, so I sent it along. The ECD-1 is staying, both for its excellent sound and its pleasing look.

Yeah, that's pretty fair. I just found it too abrasive for the price point. Lots of cheaper gear simply rolls off the top, rather than dealing with it. After hearing the DAC1, I get that. The ECD-1 is nice and smooth, but without the sense that detail is just being scrapped.