CanJam 2009

Asr

I booked Sunday night and still got the $89 head-fi rate.

The problem comes when you try to book Sunday night. It goes to the Hotel's standard rate for all the nights instead of the $89 Head-fi rate.

Plan now is to take the Mayberry bus down. We'll probably get a ways down CA1 sometime during the week, but not as far as SB.

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rate is guaranteed for Fri/Sat. The hotel is apparently being tight about the number of nights around Fri/Sat that it will offer at $89. That said, I was able to book Thurs. and Sun. and the guaranteed rate and if anybody has a problem with it they should let jp11801 know about it. He can prod the hotel to extend more "bumper" nights at that rate.

The way it stands now, I think the MOAR! team will head down on Friday morning and I hope people are willing to leave LA Monday morning. I had booked Thurs. night originally before the MOAR! plan coalesced (to the extent it has). I really think we need to have a specific count of everyone who intends to be in a vehicle headed south so that we can determine what size vehicle or vehicles will be needed. Icarium got a quote from one service, but it is pretty substantial cash so we need to determine if there is a need/justification for that kind of vehicle and expense.

^^ Thanks for the Clarification.

It sounds like I should book Fri/Sat/Sun soon, regardless - which makes sense.

If I understood the numbers I saw in the Chat room correctly, with *enough* people it could *even* be cheaper than flying (include parking etc etc) -although that could be a pretty big IF. How many people can Santa's RV take? maybe we should charter him, instead :)

I'm in for the southbound leg, but will then fly home to FL from LAX on Monday. MOAR should be a nice little segue into CJ'09 - looking forward to some quality time with my NorCal buds.

Stop being diplomatic Gene, there's only one NorCal bud you care about. Perhaps that bus better have a sleeper cabin for you and the DOTU.

• 1 month later...

Potentially stupid question: what's the schedule of events for Saturday of CanJam? I looked and I can't find anything easily. My tentative plan, if I find enough change in the sofa, is to fly out Friday and hang around with my little sister and her fiance Friday night. Saturday I'll be at the meet all day/night and then I leave early Sunday morning. Certainly I'd love to stay longer but it's just not possible.

Potentially stupid question: what's the schedule of events for Saturday of CanJam? I looked and I can't find anything easily. My tentative plan, if I find enough change in the sofa, is to fly out Friday and hang around with my little sister and her fiance Friday night. Saturday I'll be at the meet all day/night and then I leave early Sunday morning. Certainly I'd love to stay longer but it's just not possible.

Not sure what the official schedule really is but Tyll is talking at some point, Steve Hoffman and Joe Harley from Music Matters are giving two talks and there may be something else other than the standard national meet fare. The last I heard is that they are not planning an official event on Saturday night. Leaves it open to fun and frivolity and I am sure we can amuse you for as many hours as you can stay [mostly] awake. There were some discussions of a group trip to a bar or club or two and there will certainly be parties in various rooms, etc. Make it happen even if we do have to share you with your sister and you have rush back to your family. :D

There is a small welcome/everyone meet up event for Friday evening at about 5pm which should be worth stopping by for; 909 and some others are trying to put together a bar and music run for Saturday evening. There is at least one Saturday hospitality event scheduled for Head Casers (that I know of) and as Voltron said there may be others.

Hoffman is tentatively scheduled for 1 and 4 pm Saturday with Tyll and the other guy scheduled for talks in between. If you are interested, the speaker system that will back up the Hoffman talk is supposed to be pretty good and will be having private demos of their system's capabilities in between the Hoffman/Tyll presentations. Head Casers have priority for these demos if they are interested.

Nine to five Saturday and Sunday is the official schedule. There will be some after hours private sessions on Saturday and possibly on Friday but details are sketchy at this point because they need to be worked out with the vendors. If you need a Saturday morning pickup, let me know anything's possible.

great news, hope to see you there.

You may want to try and arrange to be there Friday night :dan:

If all works out the Hoffman talks should have a scary good rig for demoing the Music Matters 45rpm Blue Note series.

Also probably 75% of the vendors will have something either debuting at CanJam or have a product that has just come out prior to CanJam.

Sadly Joe Grado will not be speaking nor will Danny B be selling any used gear.