CanJam 2009

Asr

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're going to turn an airport extreme into a 5ghz 802.11n access point? Didn't apple do that when they built it?

I should clarify. I have an Airport Extreme already that was set up for a mixed 802.11g/n network at 2.4Ghz using WPA/PSK encryption. I wanted to change to a 5Ghz 802.11n network but I have too much wireless stuff like iPhone, Wii, Nintendo DS, XV6800 pda phone etc that wont work on 5Ghz (but have 5 macs, an ATV and AP Express that will).

Blutarsky loaned me the second extreme when he got the dual radio version, and this will replace the Ativa. So one Extreme will be set to run 5Ghz 802.11n for all the new Macs + Apple TV + the newer Airport Express; and one will be set to 2.4Ghz mixed n+g for the older Airport Express, iPhone, Wii, DS, and Verizon XV6800. One will be used as the router and one will be the access point plugged into the back of the router. I will have all the gear on the 5Ghz network fall back to the 2.4Ghz network if the macbooks stray too far from the 5Ghz signal.

The plan was if I liked the setup I could trade him for the spare Extreme, or I could sell my old Extreme, return his, and fork over $195 after taxes for a dual radio version. He already has 6 tubes of mine on loan that are worth over $100 but he wasn't sure he wanted to trade for all the tubes, so I might have to put up more trade or cash in addition to the tubes that he'd like. Since I paid for the hotel room, he can pay me cash or pay me with an Extreme.

I should clarify. I have an Airport Extreme already that was set up for a mixed 802.11g/n network at 2.4Ghz using WPA/PSK encryption. I wanted to change to a 5Ghz 802.11n network but I have too much wireless stuff like iPhone, Wii, Nintendo DS, XV6800 pda phone etc that wont work on 5Ghz (but have 5 macs, an ATV and AP Express that will).

Blutarsky loaned me the second extreme when he got the dual radio version, and this will replace the Ativa. So one Extreme will be set to run 5Ghz 802.11n for all the new Macs + Apple TV + the newer Airport Express; and one will be set to 2.4Ghz mixed n+g for the older Airport Express, iPhone, Wii, DS, and Verizon XV6800. One will be used as the router and one will be the access point plugged into the back of the router. I will have all the gear on the 5Ghz network fall back to the 2.4Ghz network if the macbooks stray too far from the 5Ghz signal.

The plan was if I liked the setup I could trade him for the spare Extreme, or I could sell my old Extreme, return his, and fork over $195 after taxes for a dual radio version. He already has 6 tubes of mine on loan that are worth over $100 but he wasn't sure he wanted to trade for all the tubes, so I might have to put up more trade or cash in addition to the tubes that he'd like. Since I paid for the hotel room, he can pay me cash or pay me with an Extreme.

The Unnecessarily Complex Transaction.

I'm scratching my head over coming to Canjam or not. Having missed out on the special room price wont help, but if it's only one night, it wont kill me. Plane tickets from Japan are cheap, surprisingly. Would be good to meet everyone face to face and try out all the gear I've only read about for a year and a half.

I'm scratching my head over coming to Canjam or not. Having missed out on the special room price wont help, but if it's only one night, it wont kill me. Plane tickets from Japan are cheap, surprisingly. Would be good to meet everyone face to face and try out all the gear I've only read about for a year and a half.

I am not sure why you think there is no more discount, but I would be persistent on that one. They slot in a block of rooms at the discount, then when those are filled they add more. Ping 909 or jp11801 for a definitive answer.

The room discounts are still available. Try again and if that dosen't work, PM JP#s or me and we will take care of it for you. Nice how I volunteer John for these things? ;)

haven't bought my tickets yet, need to know specifically if there is a place for me to crash, and what the time frame for said place is, before i do so, otherwise i'll get a hotel room (which i don't wanna do, as i'm broke). gonna make it either way.

Gene and I offered you the couch, fold-out, floor, tub, or whatever we will have available in our room. You're set, buddy.