CanJam 2009

Asr

Does anyone else have a spare bed, or need to go halves on a room?

Thanks

ari

Nebby just posted this same question yesterday or so. Match made in heaven.

Voltron: Who's the artist in the music picture you posted?

Jenny Lewis. Looking at it now, I see that the part with her name and the fact that she is playing at The Fillmore did not come through on the copied pic.

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the International Meet veterans, how safe is my gear at the meet? I mean, do I need to be there to watch at all times. I am mostly worried about the R10s and the HE90s.

At the SoCal meet I walked away for long periods and nothing happened. Not sure that was smart?

Have you heard any bad stories from the International Meets? Do you suggest someone watches my stuff at all times? I definitely don't want to be tied to my gear for the whole meet.

If I had that kind of gear I would seek to make alliances with those around me, essentially ensuring that the gear was never left completely alone but always had someone near by. Bottom line, I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to leave either of those headphone unattended and no amount of suggestions by any of us should sway you.

To the International Meet veterans, how safe is my gear at the meet? I mean, do I need to be there to watch at all times. I am mostly worried about the R10s and the HE90s.

At the SoCal meet I walked away for long periods and nothing happened. Not sure that was smart?

Have you heard any bad stories from the International Meets? Do you suggest someone watches my stuff at all times? I definitely don't want to be tied to my gear for the whole meet.

I had my rig set up at CanJam last year and left it. It was hogged by postjack much of the time, so it was safe. It was also set up near people's rigs I know (nate for one), but there were no problems. I think the first international had some hair product issues with a couple high-end cans, and people leaving cables danging to be tripped on or caught up in the chairs.

The way the rooms are set up this year, as far as I know, it should be even more manageable. If I'm not mistaken, your rig will probably be in the high-end room, which will automatically be a bit safer, due to the fact that all the gear will be watched out for pretty carefully. I think John was talking about having volunteers in each room to help out with things, but I don't know if that's actually happening. I wouldn't worry about it. Put a sign with instructions (including no hair products allowed) and enjoy. I'll be glad to watch over your rig for a bit if no one else steps forward. :)

I was concerned about bringing my R10s because there wouldn't really be a home for them, and I would need people to take care of them, or basically take shifts using them how and where they wanted. If I had a table, I'd do as I suggested above, and go about and enjoy what else was there.

Edited by boomana

I am going to sound pollyanna right now, but I have been to lots of big meets and nothing serious has ever gone wrong and certainly nobody has walked off with expensive gear. Making alliances with those of us in the "hi-end" room will be adequate for protection and there will never be a moment when nobody you trust is in that room paying attention. That said, I would only have expensive woody things like the HE90 or R10 out when I was there or when there was someone watching my table specifically. Box them up for periods you are wandering and nobody is looking over your table. No guarantees can be made about this meet in particular, but past experience has been very good in terms of respecting gear (for the most part), lack of any theft, etc.

thank David (909) for the volunteer suggestion and yes there will be some volunteers (lifeguards) for the gear but I would still adopt safe gear precautions for things like l3000s and R10s like taking them with me when I wandered the halls and such. At the SoCal meet I took the W2002s out for people when I was there but put them away when I was gone or had them around my neck for testing with other rigs.

I think a prudent mix of trust and common sense is called for in these instances. That said my trust and faith in the community has been amply rewarded in the 5 years I have been a part of it.

Anyone willing to let a mild-mannered, poor college-kid mooch off them and use some floor space in their room for sleeping? I'm not totally sure I'll be there yet, but after Dan pulled out the ban-card I somehow feel more obligated to go to CJ. I would be most grateful :).

Anyone willing to let a mild-mannered, poor college-kid mooch off them and use some floor space in their room for sleeping? I'm not totally sure I'll be there yet, but after Dan pulled out the ban-card I somehow feel more obligated to go to CJ. I would be most grateful :).

Ari is looking for someone to share a room with I'd check with him. Hey is Billy coming you could mooch off him

Ari is looking for someone to share a room with I'd check with him. Hey is Billy coming you could mooch off him

Sent a pm to Billy, we'll see what he's up to. I'll check with Ari if Billy is unable to lend a floor/bed/tub/whatever. I'll send a message to Naaman if Ari can't help, and burn out my eyes accordingly.

You can certainly crash in my room Bryan. Last I heard, Billy was planning to go, but that was back in March.

I also started packing for CanJam