Stacker II

Guest sacd lover

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this sounds half as good as it looks... ;D

well most of you know what my opinion is here ;), I look forward to JP and EC's opinions. FULL REVIEWS are demanded :D (good or bad)

Thanks for the compliments all. Seeing as I won't be offended by my opinion , I have to say my preference is for the more rugged look of Earl's. It may be that it has something to do with elbow grease, loss of knuckle skin and labour of love in general. It's not that I don't like JP's - I am very happy with the result, both sonically and aesthetically..dB

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sachu
well , if tonight's tweaking works out , they will be hitting the road asap

BUT, there will always be mine :D

..dB

On no it will not..not for at least another week :P

Btw, on a side note..it is not even funny how good the CTH sounds compared to your stacker Don..It doesn't seem to be that far away in terms of SQ as the price of a stacker might suggest..

The original stacker is better detailed (not by much) and a wider headstage..bass is slightly better controlled..The mids are amazing on the stacker and this is where it edges out on the CTH clearly. Oh the stacker is definitely more musical because of the better midrange. At least that is the initial view..gonna do a proper head to head in a little while..

Guest sachu
NoNoNoNoNoNo, do you think the wallwart AC power supply might be a source of bottlenecking for the CTH?

not really..since the wallwart is nothing but a transformer in a case..

The one thing with the CTh is that things get a bit congested in really complx passages..This is probably down to the headphones as well..but the stacker doesn't show this limitation as clearly as the CTH..in any case..the CTH with the 12BH7A has no right ot be sounding this good for its price

not really..since the wallwart is nothing but a transformer in a case..

The one thing with the CTh is that things get a bit congested in really complx passages..This is probably down to the headphones as well..but the stacker doesn't show this limitation as clearly as the CTH..in any case..the CTH with the 12BH7A has no right ot be sounding this good for its price

Might have something to do with how much current the wallwart can put out? Or the quality of the transformer? Sorry, I'm not giving up.;D

Guest sachu
Might have something to do with how much current the wallwart can put out? Or the quality of the transformer? Sorry, I'm not giving up.;D

meh..well its a desktop class 2 transformer..puts out 1.67A..way more than that specified which is about 0.8A..so i hardly doubt that it is the transformer..

Could be the tube could be the architecture..

the Stacker currently has a bunch of 6FQ7s..I am running a Gold Aero 12BH7A on the CTH

The original stacker is better detailed (not by much) and a wider headstage..bass is slightly better controlled..The mids are amazing on the stacker and this is where it edges out on the CTH clearly. Oh the stacker is definitely more musical because of the better midrange. At least that is the initial view..gonna do a proper head to head in a little while..

You guys should let me know if you do a comparison of the Stackers and CTH, I'm starting to seriously think I need a hybrid on my desk at work and would be happy to sit down and do some testing - remember the presonus can be really handy for amp comparisons. :D

Guest sachu
You guys should let me know if you do a comparison of the Stackers and CTH, I'm starting to seriously think I need a hybrid on my desk at work and would be happy to sit down and do some testing - remember the presonus can be really handy for amp comparisons. :D

heh..was actually thinking how cool it would be to borrow the presonus from you for a day...

better yet, let me know if you are interested to come over and do a comparo tomorrow or on saturday..say an hour or two at my place..got beer and will have food too

seems like a party in my absence ;-)

Well , Earl's amp is "tweaked" and the e12 hasn't tripped for 40 min and is sounding mighty fine, good to be able to listen to something while stripping shielded wires for the next big "tweak" on JPs.

Btw, on a side note..it is not even funny how good the CTH sounds compared to your stacker Don..It doesn't seem to be that far away in terms of SQ as the price of a stacker might suggest..

The original stacker is better detailed (not by much) and a wider headstage..bass is slightly better controlled..The mids are amazing on the stacker and this is where it edges out on the CTH clearly.

a bit like the CKKIII being a match for the B22 :P, something I have heard said more than once ..... until the going gets tough and the source gets better. The good thing is that you have identified that you don't need one know ;D

I am sure the CTH is a cracker hybrid and it sounds good from the short time I spent with it. The strengths of the stacker are that it is incredibly revealing - no holes barred and it is not shy to let you know it. I spent a lot of time with it and the SOHA II and my initial thought was that it was not far off - and I guess that's just it - it's not far off but when you are building to retrieve that last 5%, not far off is still far enough off. The level of detail that the stacker is able to convey and place accurately in the soundspace without any softening / blurring whatever you wish to call it is what has become clear to me over the years that I have owned this amp. It has the fun factor of the other hybrids but it just keeps getting better the more you listen to it. The ultimate attraction to me is the ability to resolve tube differences and this makes the amp a real tube rollers dream.

back to the flux ..dB

as does he ;) , this will be the final thing I try , it goes out next week or hell will freeze over.

it is "good enough" as is but I want it perfect, it was quiet until I air wired the sockets and this is the only source of noise I can consider. I had used 18G silver coated Cu but am switching it over to shielded wire - problem is that access is a bitch as this amp was never intended to be messed with once complete. Teach me to place form over function ..dB

Guest sacd lover
seems like a party in my absence ;-)

Well , Earl's amp is "tweaked" and the e12 hasn't tripped for 40 min and is sounding mighty fine, good to be able to listen to something while stripping shielded wires for the next big "tweak" on JPs.

back to the flux ..dB

How is that e12 holding up now?

I spent a lot of time with it and the SOHA II and my initial thought was that it was not far off - and I guess that's just it - it's not far off but when you are building to retrieve that last 5%, not far off is still far enough off.

I was just floored by the SOHA II. I am somewhat tempted by the new offerings, but I think the SOHA II can really be tweaked and probably has more potential if you're willing to understand the circuit and try some new things... the all-in-one board makes this a bit difficult, but it can be done.

The buffer on the SOHAII is without fault. So what you need is increase the tube current, add octal sockets and then beef up the power supply and there you have uhm.... the stacker? :rolleyes:

soha ii actually evolved out of the various ideas bouncing around with the stacker so it should sound damned fine.

If you want to play with one of Alex's (other) designs, I would suggest you review the EHHA..dB