My new vinyl setup

philodox

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks buddy. :)

I still need to give it a good clean, but I brought my isoprop and goo-gone from work and will get to it soon. The guys at the shop lubed some of the mechanical workings, but I'm going to give it a more thorough once over after I've digested the service manual.

Anyone have any tips on the type of grease I should use? If there are bearings and they look dry, do I use oil?

The cartridge that came with it is a Stanton 600. Can't find anything about it online except one offhand reference that seems to say it is the precursor to their audiophile line. There are some '600 series' cartridges I found that are labeled 680 and whatnot, but those seem to be 'club cartridges'. Mine just says Stanton 600 on it. Very confusing. :)

That TT is very sweet looking! Love the retro goodness, and that tonearm is vintage coolness.

The Marantz is also very nice, and looks to be in damn nice condition. A+

Yeah, the tonearm made me swoon in the store. It's not solid wood though, being mostly steel I think.

I was so surprised by the Marantz at Christmas. I mentioned how I love them off hand to Rachel over 6 months ago. She consulted Renato on the deal though to make sure she wasn't being ripped off though, so I knew it was an audio or computer related gift. :P

In response to the other post:

The only thing I was thinking of changing was to possibly remove and completely disable the automatic function, improve the support for the suspension [its warped on one side underneath] and to give the mechanics a clean and lube. I'm not planning on recasing it or bothering with other arms or anything. :)

I actually ran into a lot of good press regarding the 103 on my travels, and it was on my short list. Now its at the top.

I'm loving it too, can't listen at the moment though as its at Rachels... I think I'm gonna jet over there in a bit. Got a two albums from a shop at lunch that I haven't heard yet. :D

Edited by philodox

Vinyl Engine is going to be a great source for answers to all of your questions.
Yeah, I downloaded the manuals from there. The mounting template should come in handy for the work I want to do on the suspension. There are even a couple guys in the forum who have the Lab 80 and like it.

Most other 'audiophile' forums I've come across seem to discount it, favoring the more popular and higher end 301 model, but I have found a couple threads here and there where people who have actually heard the thing say some pretty positive things.

Either way, it sounds good to me at the moment and that's better than having a big audio penis. At least I think it is. Hmmm.

lol @ the Warhol. Actually, we were thinking about wall mounting my plasma at the new place and putting the Marantz and the Garrard on top of the table/cabinet underneath for a little bit of an old meets new aesthetic. If it goes in the office instead though, I think you've got an excellent idea there. :)

EDIT: I nearly got an older Dual, which probably would have been a safer bet, but now that I've heard it I am really glad I went with the Garrard instead. I love the solid walnut cabinet as well. The Dual I was looking at was just veneered.

Edited by philodox

Well if table size and Penis size are related I've definitely won the game.

However I, like you believe my ears to be the best tool to judge with.

I think you're on the right track with your plans. I could build another sand box platform for the table to sit on if you find it might be benificial.

EDIT: I nearly got an older Dual, which probably would have been a safer bet, but now that I've heard it I am really glad I went with the Garrard instead. I love the solid walnut cabinet as well. The Dual I was looking at was just veneered.

Duals are a dime a dozen. You've got something much more rare and dare I say very hip there my friend. I just love the aesthetic. The fact that it sounds good is icing on the cake. Let's face it, it would be cool as audio sculpture alone.

Edited by swt61

Those 103's seem pretty pricey from what I've seen so far. I've actually been considering buying this: Vintage Garrard Lab 80 Turntable & Empire 880 Cartridge - (eBay.ca item 360118884333 end time 22-Jan-09 21:34:04 EST)

It looks like the cabinet is in better shape [no bowed cork], it has the long automatic spindle, and from some quick googling, that empire 880 cart actually has some pretty good vintage audiphile cred.

What do you think? Shipping is pricey, but it will basically end up costing me the same as the one I have... and I'll have one to break, er tinker with. :P

What do you think? Shipping is pricey, but it will basically end up costing me the same as the one I have... and I'll have one to break, er tinker with. :P

It would also give you spare parts which could be a really good thing. I'd say go for it.

Anyone have any tips on the type of grease I should use? If there are bearings and they look dry, do I use oil?

Nice looking set-up there. Looks to be a very clean vintage piece.

I always use white lithium grease on bearings on my turntables.

They ain't bad, but they're not that special either. My Dual 721 does a good job but I'd by lying if I said it came anywhere close to the Garrard 401 I heard at the shop.

Nice score! We should do a vinyl meet soon, I'll bring over a stack of records.