My new vinyl setup

philodox

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He should, they're spectacular :)

I know! Before I bought the 4311's (consumer version was the L100) I was looking to buy a pair of the L65's. Never found some and being impatient, went with the 4311's. Never wanted another speaker ever since (except maybe for a pair of WATT/Puppy).

It would also give you spare parts which could be a really good thing. I'd say go for it.
I agree. :D

Thanks Steve. You've given me an excellent excuse.

Nice looking set-up there. Looks to be a very clean vintage piece.

I always use white lithium grease on bearings on my turntables.

As for it being clean... that took a bit of work. Still not completely done there yet, but I've got my isopropyl alcohol and goo gone, so I should be fine.

Thanks for the tip on the grease. :)

They ain't bad, but they're not that special either. My Dual 721 does a good job but I'd by lying if I said it came anywhere close to the Garrard 401 I heard at the shop.

Nice score! We should do a vinyl meet soon, I'll bring over a stack of records.

Well, my Lab 80 is no 401, but it sounds pretty nice to me. We'll definitely need to do a vinyl meet. I have much more space now that I'm moving in with Rachel. ;)
Looks like an awesome vintage rig. Hook that up some vintage JBL's and you'll have an AWESOME sound! I like Garrard tables a lot. Still waiting to find a minty 301 or 401 for cheap.
Thanks buddy. I know next to nothing about JBL's, but I've been thinking about either building some speakers or buying some speakers from Fab Audio... just because they are Canadian and I've had good experience with them. They are high sensitivity, so I could get into the whole SET thing. :D

Seriously though, I'm happy with my Polks at the moment. My Grado RS-1's sound pretty nice out of the Marantz, but it has so much gain that I don't get much play on the volume knob. Can't wait to try my K340's.

As for the 301/401 quest. You just got more competition. Trying not to get sucked in to deep as I am currently quite happy with what I've got, but the 'fancier' Garrards are certainly on my radar.

Listening to Portishead's Dummy right now on vinyl. This is something else. Why did I have to get this damn turntable? :(

Edited by philodox

Some fun with time and money...

I realized the other day that I now have a headphone which was last sold in '84, a reciever that was last sold in '74 and a turntable that was last sold in '64. Did some looking around and found the indexes for those years as well as 2008 and figured out what they would have cost me new in todays money. :)

AKG K340

2008/1984 = 2.07

Original MSRP = 350

MSRP today = 724.5

Marantz 2230

2008/1974 = 4.36

Original MSRP = 350

MSRP today = 1526

Garrard Lab 80

2008/1964 = 6.94

Original MSRP = 110

MSRP today = 763.4

That's all in USD as well, so given the current CDN exchange rate, I got some pretty killer deals on my gear. :D

Some fun with time and money...

I realized the other day that I now have a headphone which was last sold in '84, a reciever that was last sold in '74 and a turntable that was last sold in '64. Did some looking around and found the indexes for those years as well as 2008 and figured out what they would have cost me new in todays money. :)

AKG K340

2008/1984 = 2.07

Original MSRP = 350

MSRP today = 724.5

Marantz 2230

2008/1974 = 4.36

Original MSRP = 350

MSRP today = 1526

Garrard Lab 80

2008/1964 = 6.94

Original MSRP = 110

MSRP today = 763.4

That's all in USD as well, so given the current CDN exchange rate, I got some pretty killer deals on my gear. :D

I love when people do this! Really puts vintage gear into perspective.

LFF

I agree, it really helps you get a better idea of how high end the component was considered in its day. :)

Duggeh/Grawk

If someone wanted to buy my K340's they would have to shell out a hell of a lot more than $725. [Mine are modded/recabled though in fairness] Remember, that is MSRP, so the price in stores would likely be lower. And I would totally pay it for a brand new [and likely updated] K340.

Value is a relative thing. How much does a SR-007 cost? What's the going rate for a used K1000? I don't think either is a bad headphone, but I prefer my K340's overall. I realize there is more than sound signature and fidelity that goes into the price of a headphone though... if only my K340's *looked* like the Omegas and had their quality of construction. :D

As an aside, I actually did pay $350 for my K340's... but they were NIB/NOS.

I got my first pair for under $100 though, so it evens out. :P

EDIT: I'd also imagine that the design money spent and cost of manufacturing the K340's was much higher than the costs associated with the K1000.

Edited by philodox

I paid $350 for my K340 as well. Brand new, off the shelf of my local Audio dealer in 1985.

What you also need to remember is that the choices of headphones in 85' were but a very small fraction of what's offered today, and an even smaller number of those were truely audiophile headphones.

I thought at the time they were well worth it, and I agree that an updated modern version would have a great value.

Well the term get's a bad rap, but there are those that will be quite happy with whatever speakers or headphones happen to be around and cheap, and there are those that have a passion for trying to recreate a live experience in terms of SQ. I've fallen into that group for decades now. I don't think of myself as uppity or snotty at all, but the term has a valid place IMO.

Well, sorry, I didn't mean anything disparaging by that remark, I have no problem with (my definition of) the term, 'audiophile'. In fact, I'm not even sure where that little background post came from -- I guess I was just saying I have no idea what the headphone scene back then consisted of.

Oh I didn't think you were being disparaging at all, and took no malice from your post. I was just further expounding on the phrase.

Actually I guess I fall into both categories, because I can be quite happy listening to lesser gear as background music. I"ll always take music over no music no matter the system.

Back then headphones were mostly relegated to the times when blasting the speakers was inappropriate. I never knew anyone who's main system was headphone based. Dedicated headphone amps were unheard of. I think there are several reasons for this. One is that headphones were heavy and hot back then. They were almost, if not all closed designs with pleather pads. Little ear saunas. I think headphones started coming into their own with the introduction of the Senn. HD414, and really took off with the introduction of the Walkman.

Well, I ordered the 'backup' table. Can't wait to try that new cart out. :D

Sweet!

Nice looking rig you got there, Jay. I was actually looking at a similar Marantz receiver recently.

So not to hijack the thread, but anyone here has any experience with Sony PS-X500 table? I've a chance to buy one for ~$50+shipping and it appears to be in decent condition (aside from the missing cover on the start button).

I see Reference 3A (I think) and Wilson Benesch, but can't name either from the first pic.

Nice rug you've got there, really brings the room together.

It's not my room, that's the local audio dealer's shop. I wish it was my room though. On the bright side I now own the EAR Acute CD player (below the left turntable in the first picture).

The black Reference 3A is the MM de Capo i and the small red ones on the inside of the Wilson Benesch Discovery is the Dulcet. There's also a pair of Lowthers behind the de Capos.

I beg to differ. How many rigs can you see in this single room? ;D

3178452558_fb4bdb5cb9_o.jpg

3177617235_9a4c095131_o.jpg

I count 5 if the rack off to the right of the second picture has a set of speakers attatched. I base the designation "rig" on the number of transducers. A set of ESL-57 with a choice of 3 racks, one containing Quad, one containing Naim and one containing Technics, I would consider one big rig.

The Quad rack with a choice of ESL-57s, MMGs, Acoustimass or B&W as transducers, is 4 rigs.

But thats just me.

(Pimp rigs btw ;D)