Ayre USB DAC

Hopstretch

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that Wavelength licensed out the USB asynch technology to Ayre, who is their competitor. Perhaps they figured their markets are different being tube vs. SS?

I think its a smart move - another source of revenue for wavelength. Happens in business all the time, a company that you are competing with is also a major supplier or customer as well.

Hansen's been hinting at this for a long time (for the past several months) over at AA. Looks cool, and with Ayre behind this, I have high expectations particularly on the technical side. Going to try and secure a local auditioning session when it comes out. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The guy from wavelength appears to be really helpful to all (not that I will buy his stuff). He seems to be honestly interested in helping anyone get the best out of their computer audio.

Also it's possible that he has a patent on the tech and it was cheaper for him to let Ayre license vs going into patent litigation. Just a guess at best.

As I read it, it was saying "rather than fight to keep them from using the technology with no recourse, wavelength chose to license the technology to them. This enabled them to protect their intellectual property while saving both the cost of litigation"

As I read it, it was saying "rather than fight to keep them from using the technology with no recourse, wavelength chose to license the technology to them. This enabled them to protect their intellectual property while saving both the cost of litigation"

YAY :)

And I would like to make clear again that this is a HUGE guess.

everyone understood what you meant, the point is why even bother guessing, especially when the owners of the two companies are apparently buddy-buddy? hey, i have an idea! let's make a huge guess and tell some financial reporters that Steve Jobs is actually dead.

Really? You understood? I wonder why you responded as you did then.

i don't think "license" means what you think it means.

he seems to suggest that not suing is cheaper than licensing. well yes, since the point of licensing is that the company that holds the patent makes money. there is nothing that suggests that it was the threat of litigation that caused Ayre to license the tech.

etc.

You're hilarious dude.