Ayre USB DAC

Hopstretch

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's solid, Dinny, but Ryan and Doug both complained of "fuzziness" a few pages back. After reading that I did a little test for my own satisfaction, playing a couple of tracks with fast, punchy bass lines on the TT and computer (using high-res rips of the same vinyl pressings) at the same time and switching back and forth on the pre-amp while listening.

To my ears (using both the HD800s and the Quads), while there were audible differences between the "pure" analog tracks and the digital files, there was nothing to latch on to in the bass region particularly.

Anyway, have them ship me that Naim DAC before it goes to you and I'll give you a nice comparison. ;)

• 1 month later...

So far, so good. Amarra makes it sound more musical to me, and less "electrnonic". I am having licensing issues on the boat, so it will be awhile until I can use the full blown version of Amarra. I am also waiting for a Kimber USB cable. I have no idea how much of a difference it will make. I have heard that Belkin cables sound good as well, but I haven't had a chance to try one.

Now comes the real question, how do the Ayre compare to DACs at its price range.

BTW, are you using a MAC as the computer feeding the Ayre ?

I am using a new iMac feeding the Ayre. I'm afraid I can't comment as to it's quaility comparing to DAC's at it's price range. I am using a Reimyo DAP 999, which is much more expensive, and much better, but I expect it to be. I colleauge has a PS Audio (not the Perfect Wave), and the Ayre sounds much better. The only other comparison I can make is a straight comparison to an Esoteric DV-60 which is used as a video and SACD source as well as a transport to the Reimyo for redbook CD playback. So far, the Esoteric does better the Ayre on standard CD's, but the Ayre does sound good. I haven't attempted to compare SACD playback to computer playback with the Ayre since the source is so different. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.