Which 12AU7 to choose...

Blackmore

I am looking for some matched pair of 12au7, which I may want to put in my new source/cdp, but not sure which one to choose, so, I need your advice please. Any other options are welcome.

First are Telefunkens Smooth Plate, but I am not sure what ever they are fake or not, looks real to me, but what you think

telefunkenmb1.jpg

telefunken3my1.jpg

telefunken2zw1.jpg

Another pair are TUNG SOL's Black Glas

tungsolblack1tc9.jpg

I am more interested in Tung Sols Black glass, which are quite rare, like 6SU7 Brown based with Black glass as well. The last one I own and really like in my EAR, so I thought I am going to give it a shut to these 12AU7, but was wonder if anybody could say some more about them...

Amperex, Telefunkens smooth/ribbed, Mullards all kind, Sylvania 5814a gold pins are all known and if I cant get cheap these Tung sols I may buy some Telefunkens Smooth plates one...

THX

I am more interested in Tung Sols Black glass, which are quite rare, like 6SU7 Brown based with Black glass as well. The last one I own and really like in my EAR, so I thought I am going to give it a shut to these 12AU7, but was wonder if anybody could say some more about them...

Amperex, Telefunkens smooth/ribbed, Mullards all kind, Sylvania 5814a gold pins are all known and if I cant get cheap these Tung sols I may buy some Telefunkens Smooth plates one...

THX

Looks like a nice shopping list!

• 2 weeks later...

I can only compare to NATIONAL's 5814A (re-branded Sylvania 5814A) and Mullards CV4003, cos I never tried any Tele's in my new source...

National's sounds quite nice, not to warm or analytical either, but miss authority, which means everything there, but on midclass level. They doesnt support or would I say their limitations are absorbing the quality, like when you are trying to say something from the text, but the text isnt full enough to express the last point...

Mullards are very nice, but their lushness kills the detail and the velvety low end isnt the way I would like to walk, to round. They were great with some ROCK, but for critical listening, where every single thing are important, their veil is to obvious.

Tung Sols are just right there in the gold middle, having great detail and extention without be to analytical or harsh, reproducing of bass with brilliant detail and tightness I was missing and soundstage which isnt artificial. All by all quite natural and very musical sound.

Smooth Plate Telefunken's will give you the nice bass of the Mullard but they have nice detailed highs and big sound stage, kinda 701ish but nothing harsh. I did install some Sylvania gold pin drivers to smooth out the Tele a bit and that is a real good pairing as apposed to the Tele and the Tungsols.

• 1 month later...