My poor R10s ):

blubliss

Check out the state of my R10s after I got them back. I am pretty sure they were like this before they went out on loan.

The foam has completed melted/congealed into a sticky mess on the wood around the drivers. There is even a bit on the driver grills.

I sent these pics to Alex to see if he was willing to resurrect them. I can get new pads and foam from Mikhail.

jz00004smkr2.jpg

jz00003kz0.jpg

jz00005smba2.jpg

jz00008smaf0.jpg

Please let's have a moment of silence for the speedy recovery of my R10s :(.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get the pads directly from Japan, ask Craig at Kuboten, I think he'd be more reliable than Mikhail. Regarding the foam... that's a tougher call, however I'm sure Alex would suggest you alternatives. To clean that mess up you just need care and patience, if you don't have the will to try, then Alex would be a good choice, I don't know, never dealt with him.

I wonder how any person would open a pair of R10s he received on loan. What a shame. I'm sorry for you, good luck.

You can get the pads directly from Japan, ask Craig at Kuboten, I think he'd be more reliable than Mikhail. Regarding the foam... that's a tougher call, however I'm sure Alex would suggest you alternatives. To clean that mess up you just need care and patience, if you don't have the will to try, then Alex would be a good choice, I don't know, never dealt with him.

Thanks, I sent an email off to Craig. I have worked with him before.

How did this horror happen?

:o What happened that made them like that?

:( Dusty wins

I have no idea? Age? Maybe the guy I lent them to left them in his car in the Arizona heat? He did take off the pads I know. He was gonna repair them for me??

NO F'in way. You're taking this really well, props to your character. But did you notice the sound was wrong before loaning it out? Or is it still the same performance-wise?

Let me say again that this damage was probably there before I loaned them out. Sound wise they work but i can't tell really since the guy i loaned them to recabled them SE (without asking me) and i need balanced for my amps I'm looking for adapters so I can listen but the bass on them was horrible from the beginning. Now I know why.

I am hoping for a full recovery!

Is this a pair that was destroyed by Jena Labs?

Sad to see this.

July 2008 signup on Head-Case = Fail

NO F'in way. You're taking this really well, props to your character. But did you notice the sound was wrong before loaning it out? Or is it still the same performance-wise?

Yeah, recabling them without telling you is pretty messed up, especially given their worth. Hoping for a full recovery as well!

Fall 2008 signups on Head-Case = Masters of the Obvious.

Sorry about the fucked up situation with those R10s Andy but I am guessing Alex can clean them up and put on some new pads for you. Is there a specific reason you don't think he can get out the drivers to do a proper recable?

Sorry about the fucked up situation with those R10s Andy but I am guessing Alex can clean them up and put on some new pads for you. Is there a specific reason you don't think he can get out the drivers to do a proper recable?

I think it is risky because the older glue can cause problems with the driver?? I know Alex had a problem with a recent pair he did, not sure exact reason, but a driver got ruined. He was thinking about not touching R10s anymore after that. I hope he will work with mine, so i wanted to give him an out with not recabling all the way to the driver.

hey glad u got them back. Did mikhail broker this. Maybe he can broker my amp returned to me too. :)

No, they just arrived. The guy didn't tell me he had shipped them back.

christ.

Maybe I need his help here ;).

wait, so you loaned someone a pair of r10s. they changed the cabling without asking you and returned the phones to you in that condition? not sure if thats the case but i will reserve my comments until i received affirmation.

Changed cabling, yes, condition unsure since the pads were glued securely when I sent them out so I never saw the inside.

We were thinking about trading my pair for his, bass light for bass heavy. When he saw the condition of mine he changed his mind. He was gonna try to replace the foam for me and i trusted him since he was a surgeon. He couldn't find any foam and went missing for quite awhile. Only a few emails and no return phone calls. I left him a message saying he was worse than Mikhail (who hooked the 2 of us up). Finally got them back after 3 months.