Monsoon Computer Speakers

jinp6301

I had the 2.1 MM-1000s and, for a time, the 4.1 MM-2000s. The MH-500's are the cheaper hybrid containing a small planar driver and a cone in each "satellite", while the higher models had satellites which were one large, planar driver. I really liked the sound of my MM-1000s... until they started to die - the amp (contained in the sub enclosure) started to go south, and things just stopped working.

The MM-2000s are more powerful but tended to have a hiss. Since the setup was in my bedroom and the hiss pissed me off at night, the 2000's went back.

I eventually bought Z5500s to replace my broken MM-1000s, but the sound just isn't as good - if I had found MM-1000s for sale at that time I'd've bought them in a heartbeat, even though Monsoon no longer supports/warranties anything I think.

The new magnepan speakers are desktops. I've not heard them, but I would be willing to wager that they give monsoon a run for its money. They're also current production, and likely pretty cheap. Maybe not sub-$100 cheap, but quite possibly sub-$250 cheap. Worth a thought, at least, if you're in the market for planar desktop speakers.

I'm pretty sure they've stopped making any systems but you might find some on the bay (although looks like that pair's seen better days). According to the almighty wikipedia all the spare parts are at some unnamed store in Vancouver.

well, I've been thinking of ebay or agon since theyre discontinued.

The new magnepan speakers are desktops. I've not heard them, but I would be willing to wager that they give monsoon a run for its money. They're also current production, and likely pretty cheap. Maybe not sub-$100 cheap, but quite possibly sub-$250 cheap. Worth a thought, at least, if you're in the market for planar desktop speakers.

Yea, I saw those. I'm going to wait on the pricing but it doesnt seem like its gonna be too cheap since it seems they need some kind of woofer to do anything under 300 hz.

I don't know what scary prices you'll find in online auctions, since Monsoons have become thin on the ground, but try to find the successor to swt61's iM-700, the MM-702 (or the iM-702 if you can find it). The woofer design was better and the amp had more power. I had the 700 myself and the difference in woofboxes is day and night, plus the 702 has upgraded planars.

The 702 sounds great but in my opinion it needs EQ to sound its best. With a good sound card, it's amazing. The trick, as always, is not to pay too much for the damn things.

The 500 and 502 use smaller planars and fill in the spectrum with cone midranges, whereas the bigger panels in the 700 and 702 go all the way down to 200 Hz. The magnetic structure of the 500 series is less astute as well. I also have an MM-1000 and the 702's woofbox beats the 1000's. The satellites are about the same, but the 702's have adjustable tilt.

MonsoonMM-702bySonigistix.jpg

I don't know what scary prices you'll find in online auctions, since Monsoons have become thin on the ground, but try to find the successor to swt61's iM-700, the MM-702 (or the iM-702 if you can find it). The woofer design was better and the amp had more power. I had the 700 myself and the difference in woofboxes is day and night, plus the 702 has upgraded planars.

The 702 sounds great but in my opinion it needs EQ to sound its best. With a good sound card, it's amazing. The trick, as always, is not to pay too much for the damn things.

The 500 and 502 use smaller planars and fill in the spectrum with cone midranges, whereas the bigger panels in the 700 and 702 go all the way down to 200 Hz. The magnetic structure of the 500 series is less astute as well. I also have an MM-1000 and the 702's woofbox beats the 1000's. The satellites are about the same, but the 702's have adjustable tilt.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/heildriver/MonsoonMM-702bySonigistix.jpg

What do you think is a fair price for the 702s? Theres 2 pairs of 500s on ebay right now. One for $75 with an hour left and one for like $20 with 6 days left.

What do you think is a fair price for the 702s? Theres 2 pairs of 500s on ebay right now. One for $75 with an hour left and one for like $20 with 6 days left.

If memory serves I paid $200.00 new. It could have been $150.00 though. I would think half of that would be a pretty good deal.

I remember hearing the 500s at CompUSA somewhere around 2000-2001, and they weren't anywhere near as nice. I'd hold out for the 702.

These look quite interesting! I had never heard of them. Does anyone know if these were ever sold in Europe?

About those Mini magnepans, here's a picture: http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2009/fooled_ya/

THey were being powered by 700W monoblocks?? Do planar speakers need that much power?

I could imagine a balanced B22 driving those in a desktop setup... :)