Krell Studio DAC

Tachikoma

I found one of these locally for about $1k, and I'm tempted to pick it up. The problem is I can't audition them (not that I would have a decent reference to begin with), so does anyone here besides Nanoha (he had a unit, but hasn't logged in since August last year) have any experience with this converter? or have any info that might be useful in helping me decide? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, there's some crazy stuff on that page.

91i8wg.jpg

2uizls9.jpg

Geez, what the hell is that?

5ozihl.jpg

KGBH?

332401t.jpg

9h1dz9.jpg

jubw4i.jpg

15x5v08.jpg

Nice looking DAC. I have certainly never heard it, but I did have a Krell CDP of similar vintage as a loaner quite a few years ago. I don't remember the model offhand, but it had 20bit DACs and balanced outs. I'm pretty sure it did not have that fancy data and jitter module. Back then my listening setup was very different (Hafler P125 amp, EV Sentry monitors) but I recall the Krell being really detailed, but a bit bright. I knew little about critical listening back then so take this with sizable grain of salt.

I had one of these a long time ago. Built typically krell. Will last forever.

By todays standards, does not sound very good. Lots of stuff going on

in the software, so some cd's sounded great, others sounded like crap.

Damn, should I change my mind on this purchase then? :( Are there better options around the same price point, used?

5ozihl.jpg

KGBH?

That is the 6BX7 Stax amp that was very popular in Japan in the mid 90's. That particular amp was built by the guy which owns the SR-Omega fan site in Japan.

It's an SRM-T2, probably the predecessor to the SRM-007t. See here. But not here, because it's not a predecessor to the T-850.

The T2 has no links to the 007t as that is just a variation of the T1 design. The BH was Kevin's take on the T2 type of amp.

If there were any correlation from the money spent in R+D and sound quality... :rolleyes:

Well, I suspect there is some. And I thought we were generally in favor of spending money on design and engineering rather than audiofool marketing BS?

Do the 5400 and 9000 have digital ins? Bet I can guess the answer. :(

If there were any correlation from the money spent in R+D and sound quality... :rolleyes:

True of course, but i bought one on the strength of reviews so far. And the

sound quality is absolutely fantastic. Plus its one of the first units to have

uncompressed and un-encrypted hdmi output.

Certainly not built like the teac esoteric machines. But sounds so much better.

For $1200 if it lasts 4 years, i'll toss it and get the latest and greatest machine.

No more $12k krell boxes that have $10 plastic loaders that cost $2k to replace.

That is just plain stupid.

Krell needs to pull their heads out of their asses and release a krell quality

hdmi input super dac. It will never happen.

Have you tried it as a CD Transport feeding a known to you DAC?

I'd enjoy reading your opinion in which areas do you think the XA5400-ES sounds better than the Esoteric machines. They're not my cup of tea either.

It costs 1290 euros here, I guess I can get it for less. Were the transport "good enough" to feed the Bidat, it could be my first SACD player. Not that I'm interested in the format, never heard a SACD player that I liked, but you know, curiosity... :palm: