My 6F8G -> 6SN7 adapter is bad! Assistance?

blubliss

I got these cheap adapters on ebay from a real nice guy, but they are not working right. I know, you get what you pay for. He replaced the 1st pair with the same problem. I think I see the issue now. The pins are not the same length and are rocking in my sockets creating a static-like noise. I think the longer pin (1st picture right tube middle) is bottoming out in the socket? And the other pins have junk on the ends, solder?

jz00021gr3.jpg

jz00022xa9.jpg

Can I just make the pins even length by sanding, grinder, snips, or another method? Is it possible to make them too short?

I have heard rumors, but not being an owner can't confirm, that the sockets that Mikhail likes to use are not exactly top shelf items. I have the same adapters, from the same guy and ironically enough talked with him just the other day about the issues that you are having. The pins being too long shouldn't be an issue, but I can't say for certain that it isn't. Sounds to me like you're getting a flakey connection like crappyjones was with his Extreme.

My other tubes, 6SN7s fit snugly. These adapters seem quite loose, like the pins are not touching correctly. On the first set I thought it was due to bent pins, but now that does not seem correct.

Cory is a really nice and helpful person so I don't want to send them back. The problem could be with my amp.

Can I just make the pins even length by sanding, grinder, snips, or another method? Is it possible to make them too short?
The short answer is yes, you should do something like this. I wouldn't use snips, though, as you may deform them in the process. If you can get them ground to the same length, that would be optimal. Yes, it is possible to make them too short, but you'd have a long way to go in that realm.

The static is from an intermittent contact -- you might try some of that silver conductive paint that people are doing (although be careful not to join two adjacent pins electrically), as an alternative.

If other tubes are fitting well I'm not sure exactly what to make of the problem. I'll try to have a look at my adapter this weekend and see if it looks similar but it fits tightly in my amp. But I use some pretty non-standard sockets.
I doubt yours has the...er...what look like "solder nipples"? They don't look right. I have no idea what the purpose to them was, so I'm suspecting side-effect from some other process, such as making them shorter from using non-standard materials? Confirm/deny, Nate/anyone?

Ok, I think I figured it out. The reason the adapters are so loose is that the pins on the adapter are slightly thinner than the 6SN7 pins, hence not a great connection. Is there anything that can be done or should I just try a different adapter? Can I tighten the socket pin holes? Maybe I can pinch together the copper parts in the socket holes?

I've refrained from trying the 6F8G adapters because of the risk that something goes wrong with my SP ES-1 amp. Given the frustrations of dealing with Mikhail, I don't want him to have any reason to say that any problems are due to 3rd party adapters.

Instead, I took the hit and bought 5687 and ECC1 adapters from him. Yeah, they cost a lot. Too much, IMO, but factoring in the risk of something going wrong with the amp and having to argue with Mikhail made them more palatable.

I realize the 6F8G is a direct replacement for the 6SN7 so there shouldn't be any problems. With another amp I would try them. But with Singlepower, I don't want the risk.

Guest sacd lover

Here is the 6F8G adapter I use. They only cost $24.50, seem reasonably well made with good materials and in actual use the adapters have been trouble free. I am using three; two in my two Supras for gain and one for gain in a PPX3 SLAM.

one Adapters 6F8G TO 6SN7 tubes SUB - eBay (item 250358261161 end time Feb-14-09 19:29:56 PST)

Ok, I think I figured it out. The reason the adapters are so loose is that the pins on the adapter are slightly thinner than the 6SN7 pins, hence not a great connection. Is there anything that can be done or should I just try a different adapter?
Well, as I said before, you could thicken the pins with conductive paint, or you could try bending them so they make contact at at least one point, but those are both kludges, and do not in any way preclude what else has been said.