Decent earbud/IEMs, cheap

Pars

I bit on the V-Moda FOTM awhile back for my 2 sons without doing much if any research. One of them partially severed the cable right below the y-split (or possibly courtesy of the relatively new kitten). V-Moda is saying they don't do repairs. I suppose I could recable it with 18 ga. Jena :palm:

Any recommendations for some decent buds/IEMs, <$100 (<$60 preferable). They both already have KSC-75s as well. These are for use out of an i-pod, and even though they have them, they don't like dealing with amps. I seem to recall some good thoughts on the Altec 716s? Yuin? I know Klipsch had their pre Christmas 50% off thing as well.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Yuin PK3 for more bass, OK3 for more clearness but tipped to the upper frequencies.

Sennheiser MX460-760 (same driver, different accessories/cord style) for build quality and sexy overall package

the RE-02 on sale from head-direct for $50. I already bought another pair :)

Here is a another Head-Direct recommendation. Recently, my PK2s developed a failure of the wire where it inserts into the bud. I don't know how it happened but a cat is potentially the cause. They were out of warranty but Fang replaced them for $30. So you know that your investment is protected with Head-Direct.

As far as earbuds go, a co-worker got PK3s awhile back, and I was pretty impressed with them for the price. I'm not sure you could get better in the price range. I'm not up on iems, but there was one pair I listened to at CanJam from Uncle Wilson (wish I could remember which one of many models) that sounded really decent. Iirc, they were about $50.

I bit on the V-Moda FOTM awhile back for my 2 sons without doing much if any research. One of them partially severed the cable right below the y-split (or possibly courtesy of the relatively new kitten). V-Moda is saying they don't do repairs. I suppose I could recable it with 18 ga. Jena :palm:

Any recommendations for some decent buds/IEMs, <$100 (<$60 preferable). They both already have KSC-75s as well. These are for use out of an i-pod, and even though they have them, they don't like dealing with amps. I seem to recall some good thoughts on the Altec 716s? Yuin? I know Klipsch had their pre Christmas 50% off thing as well.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I would recommend the Nuforce NE-7M in that price range ($49), and use the money you save to buy either some silicone tips for the Shure E2c for them, or some Complys T400 tips. The tips make a big difference in sound, and they fit better with the Shure or COmplys tip. I did a review on them on "the other forum" and a great number of people agree that in the price range they are hard to beat. Un-amped they beat my de-podded IM716, which when amped are very good. The NE-7M only need about 85-95 hours of burn-in, and compete well with IEM costing as much as $150 (the $159 Phonak do pass these up, but most of the others don't).

I have a pair of Pk1's and had a pair of Pk2's (lost them). It's been awhile and recently, a rattle started in my right earbud (I think from putting them in my bag and commuting home everyday) and Fang told me to just mail them to him and he'll mail me new ones. Good customer service.

I'd recommend Pk2's or Altec Lansing im716's (what I use during the commute to drown out the noise).

Altec iM716s: I recall seeing those mentioned awhile back; it looks like those have a volume control on the cable? Were the iM616s the same, minus the volume?

I logged a second service thing on V-Moda's site and wasn't warned about them not doing repairs, so I may just ship these in and see what happens. In the meantime, buy the RE02s or something better sounding than the V-Modas. My kids like them, but everytime I have listened to them (ipod->mp3->vmoda) its just sounded flat to me, in more ways than one :kitty: If my system sounded like that, I'd quit.

Got the RE-02s today. For $50, the kick major ass. I think they changed the design from my first pair to get more bass (which it needed imo). The soundstage is great for an IEM. It actually extends outside the phones, which the im716 doesnt do at all without an amp.

But, there is a slight buzzing on the left earphone so I'm going to try to get them replaced.