Any Deadheads on HC?

JimP

For some inexplicable reason, ~70% of my listening these days is Grateful Dead (or JGB). As background, I hated the Dead back in high school (went to a US private school, and found these WASPy deadheads quite annoying). At college, less annoying but couldn't care less about the roommates who were into the Dead. I've been to one and only Dead concert - Madison Square Garden in the '90s - more freaked out by the freaks than enjoying the show. Fast forward to today, I keep reaching for my GD CDs (or equivalent FLAC/ALAC). I've belatedly come to appreciate GD. I just spent $$$ ordering 9-CD Winterland '73 set, Terrapin Station 3-CD limited edition, Cow Palace, Dozin' At The Knick, Nightfall Of Diamonds, Steppin' Out, Europe '72, Rockin' The Rhein, Truckin' Up To Buffalo, Closing of Winterland, GD Movie Soundrack, various Dick's Picks and Roadshows, etc etc Wife is not amused, 17-month old daughter seems to really like Peggy-O! So, any other (closet) Deadheads here?

I don't think of myself as a deadhead anymore, but I put in my time in a vw camper selling soda in parking lots to pay for gas food and tickets.

There's a lot of good audience recordings, and the betty kantor audience/soundboard matrix recordings floating around out there. Plus starting around 86, The Oade brothers started bringing schoeps mics, their great preamp, and various early digital recordings to shows and capturing spectacular recordings.

I consider myself a deadhead. I don't listen to them as much as I did way back when but still listen at least a few times a week. I have a bunch of albums on vinyl and have been buying the soundboard recordings sold on dead.net. Here is a pic of what is probably the last remaining bumper sticker we sold to get us from show to show.

OnlyGoodHeadisaDeadHead.jpg

Widespread Panic (WSP) and the Allman Brothers Band (ABB)

I'm listening to the Dead on the Grateful Dead Channel on Sirius as I type this.

Edited by tyrion

OK specific question to some of the DH's or quasi-DH's here:

I have all the Road Trips series from Grateful Dead | Official Site of the Grateful Dead, not an issue as there's only 5 or 6. I want to get some Dick's Picks, but there's quite a lot - can anyone suggest some good ones? I know it's subjective and depends on what period dead you like, but right now I'm sampling the whole range.

Jim, there is an awesome thread on the Steve Hoffman forums about the best of the Dick's Pick's series:

My review of the Dick's Picks series - Grateful Dead - SH Forums

MikeP is the resident deadhead over there, and knows his stuff. He also has another thread dedicated to the non-Dick's Picks live releases. I can't say if I 100% agree with him on all his ratings, since I haven't listened to the series as critically as he has, but I've used his thread as a buying guide and its steered me right so far.

Personally, Disc Two of Dick's Picks 5 might be the GD disc I've listened to the most. ujb > estimated > jam > he's gone > the other one > drums.

Also, remember you can get tons of Grateful Dead for free at bt.etree.org.

Jack, thanks for that resource. JimP, I have about 5 or 6 DP's on my usb drive and enjoy them all. It's not connected now so not sure which ones I have. I usually just look at the sets and pick the ones that I think I will like. When it comes to The Dead, I'm not that critical. I never went to a show I didn't enjoy (about 30 or so in total).

Went to about 4 shows in the 80's, was never a Deadhead but I still listen these days and have a large Dead collection.

Same here, almost (two shows in early 80's).

I recall at intermission (Riviera in Chicago, I believe) about six of us did "dugouts" in the lobby. We filled our "bats" and exchanged with someone else in the circle. Several rounds later I doubt if we possessed our original bat.

Considering...I'm surprised I recall this. I'm surprised I recall --anything--.

I really like DP #18 disc 2. Really nice jams that are not too out there for me. I get lost sometimes when they go on rambles that are bizarre to me. Since I don't do drugs or drink anymore maybe i have just lost touch. ;)

I got some of the suggested albums at Hoffman and it was a bit hit and miss for me. Quality can be really poor on GD recordings. But when they were on, musicians and engineers, it's really great. I like the stuff where Donna? sings.