Audio Engine A5. Any other options?

MASantos

I heard the A5 at last year's RMAF - it's a decent speaker, I don't see how one could go wrong with it for the price. There are lots of bookshelf/mini-monitor speakers in that price range though. I've read good things about Energy, Epos, and Monitor Audio to start with.

blessingx has had my M-Audio Bx5a speakers for awhile and then bought Audioengine 5s with a deal code from Macworld. He thought that they had a more balanced sound with better low end over the M-Audio. He thought the M-Audio *might* image better but the a5s were good at that too. The additional features with iPod integration, USB, AC plug and so forth also add value to the a5.

Genelec makes great stuff -- no doubt. If he can use them effectively at work, I'd say go that route. They are professional gear, true, but for a long time the only use for small, nearfield monitors was in a professional setting. Nothing wrong with hearing a recording the way it was mastered :)

Oh shit mini magnepans? fuck i gotta check that out even if they are passive

MMG W Planar - Magnetic 100-16 kHz 88 dB 5 Ohm 10 x 38 x 1

Maybe... bass cut off is a little bit vicious but...

Oh never mind it's these huh: http://www.soundstage2.com/lasvegas2009/df_jan11mm.html

Yeah when those come out I'll get them if they aren't insane pricey.

Thanks for all the replies.

They don't have to be powered speakers, but I guess that in the price range it will be hard to find a combo of speakers and amp that beats a pair of powered speakers.

These will be used in the living room, probably for one or two years until he can afford a better setup (then yes, separate amplifier and speakers, probably floor mounts with a nice amp.) then they'll move to the office or bedroom.

I'll check those brands you recomend and also used gear in Lisbon. Might find a good deal.

I also saw these: Vifa Speaker Kit at 59$ for the kit it looks like a killer deal.

I have woodshop at home so I have tools and enough knowledge to build these.

Paired with a gainclone could be a great budget speaker.

Must check into that as well.