New TTVJ FET-A Headphone Amp / Preamp

Voltron

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

explain yourself. Are you talking about Voltron or the FET-A?

fighting_58.gif

Thanks for the review Al, seems like a very promising amp. Did you also listen with your Audio-Technica AD2000? I'd be interested in any impressions specific to that pairing (including gain). ;) Also what aspects in particular are better on the Luxman P-1 vs the FET-A?

I didn't have the AD2Ks around so I have not heard them with the FET-A. I am not sure I will have the chance to check out that combo before I pass it along. I am not sure what you mean by "including gain" but I did not get the sense that the amp was too much for any of the low-impedance cans I used (HF-1, PS-1 and Ed. 9). I had plenty of play on the volume.

I just remembered that you asked about how the P-1 betters the FET-A. I don't really know because I have not done a side by side comparison and do not intend to in any detail. My point was that I am not saying this little amp is the greatest thing evar and beats out my favorite "full-size" amps. If I am able to listen to the P-1 and FET-A in the next couple of days, I will post some thoughts.

I'm sure it sounds great, but like others, I really, really wish Todd would let someone with eyes design the outsides!

You're supposed to have your eyes shut while listening, didn't you know? ;)

Good review though Voltron. I think you made a good point about amps being able to scale well. It would be interesting to hear impressions after about 350 hours of use, as my (albeit somewhat limited) experience suggests that improvements can come after that time.

Todd sent his loaner to me to check out, it arrived today. It actually looks much better in person than what the pics show. The volume knob honestly isn't that much bigger than your standard amp volume knob. The chassis is just a straight anodized silver, very simple.

With zero hours on it, I am liking what I am hearing so far. There is an air and ambiance that you traditionally don't hear with solid state units. The midrange tonally is spot on. I will leave it at that because I want to "burn it in" (though I admit I am not really that superstitious about burn in generally).

Yes, but how does it compare to a Zana Deux being used as a pre-amp into a B22? Specifically.

Have no idea - seeing as I no longer have the Zana and use the moth integrated for speaker duties. However I do plan on trying out the FET-A as a preamp into my moth and just run the volume pot on the moth all the way to reduce its effect on the signal.

Any shots of the insides?

I personally make it a habit with gear that does not belong to me not to mess with it or open it up unless I have direct permission from the person it belongs to. Even when I worked for 6moons, I always made sure to ask first before digging around, and I do plan on asking Todd if it is okay if I open her up for some pics. I would hate to be personally liable if something goes wrong, and personally I just don't think its good form or very classy to open up stuff that doesn't belong to you (i.e., opening up R10's to recable them though they are not yours (blubliss?))

Have no idea - seeing as I no longer have the Zana and use the moth integrated for speaker duties. However I do plan on trying out the FET-A as a preamp into my moth and just run the volume pot on the moth all the way to reduce its effect on the signal.

Sorry Ryan, that was meant to be a joke. Obviously, it was a weak one.

I had a chance to spend some time with this amp at the meet yesterday. First, it looks better in person than it does in the pics. The sound quality is excellent. It has a nice black backgound and doesn't seem to anything wrong. It is well worth the asking price and probably some more. It was in a loud meet (much of the time because of me) so I am not going into specifics. Suffice it to say, if I were in the market for a sub $1000 amp (with a bonus preamp), this would be very high on my list and probably on top.

I have hiss on my unit. Nothing connected except power, and it's fairly audible. :( I take it mine is the only one so far with hiss? Also I get transformer-like buzz when I crank up the volume...

Since this is the second time in recent history you have mentioned fairly audible background hiss (previously the Shanling) methinks you should search out some other component(s) in the chain or on the circuit.

Well with sensitive headphones (I.e. not Sennheisers) it's pretty common for amps to exhibit hiss/noise floor.

With the Qualias in particular the only dead silent amp with no floor noise that I've experienced is the gilmore lite. (Presumably it's bigger brothers in the dynalo line will do this too).