Vintage DAC: Sonic Frontiers SFD-2

XXII

I'm a little torn here, to be honest. Yes, it does look like a rip-off if you look at the parts they're actually using in there, but fuck me what an engineering achievement this is. They've made something that's literally audiophile legend now, using two DACs which were designated as low cost parts at its heart.

Then again, the "discrete ladder" that accounts for the remaining 8 bits couldn't have been that easy to build, could it?

• 3 months later...

Well according to the man himself, he did design it:

Lavry Engineering

One of my designs was taken from Analog Solutions by Dick Powerswhen the audio division was closed. He started a company called Ultra Analog that manufactured my DAC module under the name DAC D20400. This device was sold to OEMs Wadia, Pacific Microsonics, Mark Levinson and others.

So wait, does this mean that some of Lavry's designs are good then?

I didn't like the DA10, but maybe some of his higher end DAC's are awesome.

either that or the DAC D20400 was just a lucky break...

On another note,

I'm enjoying the SFD2 mk2 I bought recently.

I can tell that it is far more high end than any headphones and amps that I currently own.

It's like there's musicality hidden away, waiting to be given the chance to shine.

I bet Stax would do it.

For now, I'm gonna do a comparison with the 1100hd on my Mackies. I'll check back with y'all.

Weird, it says here:

SFD 2 MKII

..that the SFD2 mk2 has a discrete analog output stage

ANALOG OUTPUT STAGE

One of the greatest weaknesses in most digital processor products has been their output stage. Other processors - which use solid state op-amps (since they are inexpensive and easy to implement) in the current to voltage, output and active filtering stages - suffer from the typical "glare" and "leanness" which has plagued digital reproduction since its inception. We could not limit the performance capability of the SFD-2 MKII by building an analog stage which could not match the musical innovations of our revolutionary digital stage. First of all, analog filtering was performed passively in order to maximize sonic performance. In addition, the output section was of discrete design (no op-amps), utilizing a high speed vacuum tube output buffer stage (cathode follower configuration), instead of solid state devices.

I also have a question.

Any idea if the SFD2 mk2 is switchable to 220 volts?

Mine is at 120 right now, and there is an interested buyer in Russia.

Would be interesting to see pics of the digital (middle) board in your Mk.II... my Mk.III definitely has OPA627s after the PCM1704s!

Out of curiosity, you have an original Mk.II or upgraded Mk.I? (upgraded would have a toggle switch with three positions on the front for input selection, original Mk.II would have a button to cycle through five inputs)

Not dead easy to convert to 220V. New transfos, at least... see PM re Russia guy btw.

Cheers,

yeah it's an upgraded MKI, there's a toggle switch.

it's unfortunate too, because I could use an optical input at times

(a real one, not AT&T optical, whatever the hell that is)

Mine started as a Mk.I as well, and was then upgraded to Mk.II and finally Mk.III. You need a D2D-1 (or a Genesis Digital Lens...) for Toslink....makes it actually palatable! ST optical is actually a great interface........