I think it's time to mix it up...

Thaddy

Well, I've been tossing around the idea lately of getting a new amp and source. I plan on selling my DAC and putting the Millet on preamp duty for my future HT setup.

Right now I'm really looking into the Headamp GS-1. I need an amp with 2 inputs and prefer preamp capability (but don't need it), and the GS-1 also has two 1/4th outputs with a line out. As for a source, I'm looking at the Cambridge Azur 650C from Audiocubes. Other than the GS-1, I'd be interested in a SLAM from Mikhail, or maybe something from the DIY garden (Dynamite?).

I'll use my 0404 and possibly the 640C as sources, and would like to use the preamp feature to drive a T-Amp and my Paradigm Atoms.

It seems the GS-1 is well liked, especially with the HD650's, but I want to hear everyones thoughts here.

The GS-1 is simply a great overall performer that is quite versatile. It was one of the most enjoyable amps I haev reviewed so far, and probably sometime in the future will end up owning one. When I had it here it sounded great with the hd650's. The GS-1's top end is very refined, smooth, and silky, with great bass impact, slam, and depth. The 650's bass can sounda bit wooly but the GS-1 controls it very nicely, making it tight and impactful.

The GS-1 is simply a great overall performer that is quite versatile. It was one of the most enjoyable amps I haev reviewed so far, and probably sometime in the future will end up owning one. When I had it here it sounded great with the hd650's. The GS-1's top end is very refined, smooth, and silky, with great bass impact, slam, and depth. The 650's bass can sounda bit wooly but the GS-1 controls it very nicely, making it tight and impactful.

How did you find the GS-1's bass in comparison to the Raptor's with the 650s?

Agree with recstar. I had time to spend with the GS-1 and I can heartily recommend it. Definitely a SS presentation(duh) but still not over the top and harsh. Absolutely LOVED the loop out. Got the same in my slam as a matter of fact. Build quality is obviously excellent. Just a great amp and I think a great match for the 650s.

It's too bad you're locked into the multiple inputs thing Zachk I think there's going to be a very nice Mapletree Ear+ HD for sale soon which I think would make a great amp for you. But it only has one input :(. Just something else to consider if you are willing to sacrifice a few things in the name of great sound.

It's too bad you're locked into the multiple inputs thing Zachk I think there's going to be a very nice Mapletree Ear+ HD for sale soon which I think would make a great amp for you. But it only has one input :(. Just something else to consider if you are willing to sacrifice a few things in the name of great sound.

Yeah I know, but I really don't like messing with switching RCA cables, since I like to use a CD player and my computer in equal amounts.

I like what I read about the GS-1, and I don't see why I shouldn't get it. I guess it's time to start saving (well, once the paychecks start arriving!)

Zack,

It might be wise to wait for some impressions from people after Justin rolls out the new modules. I'm not trying to imply that it'll be anything but great sounding but the signature of the amp may have changed as a result.

My 2?,

Nate

Second that notion, since Justin has also mentioned that he's not planning on offering both modules once he rolls out the new modules.

If he's not offering both wouldn't the thing to do be; buy one with the current module, then if the new module is better you can always upgrade, but if the new module isn't better or heaven forbid it's worse you have the current module that is a known commodity.

Change is not always for the better.

If he's not offering both wouldn't the thing to do be; buy one with the current module, then if the new module is better you can always upgrade, but if the new module isn't better or heaven forbid it's worse you have the current module that is a known commodity.

Change is not always for the better.

I hope this is not going to be the expectation. By the time the new modules are ready, I will have put in hundreds of hours of work and a couple thousand dollars in prototyping materials.

I do not expect that investment to pay off monetarily (not even close), but I prefer it to the alternative of continuing to use K. Gilmore's design or simply picking a different circuit "off the shelf" - and it would be far easier to do the latter and likely be subjected to less criticism.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope this is not going to be the expectation. By the time the new modules are ready, I will have put in hundreds of hours of work and a couple thousand dollars in prototyping materials.

I do not expect that investment to pay off monetarily (not even close), but I prefer it to the alternative of continuing to use K. Gilmore's design or simply picking a different circuit "off the shelf" - and it would be far easier to do the latter and likely be subjected to less criticism.

Maybe I missed it but when do you expect the new modules to be ready?