a nod to someone who has served us well

dBel84

Final updated tally : $1385

Contributors :

dB / Batman / Pabbi / Forsakenrider / NoNoNoNoNoNo / guzziguy / cfcubed / wiatrob / smeggy / headphoneaddict

ferrari / amphead / germania aka childofthehorn / digger945 / postal_blue / nikongod

MrMajestic2 / adamus / tacitapproval / Alcaudon / nmaher / anon / ferrari / moodysteve

chobint / fishski13 / fordgtlover / linuxworks / vixr / MrSlim / jp11801 / kklee / balderon

krmathis / AMB / MASantos / MisterX / TomB / sacd lover / scompton / Uncle Bob / ericj / holland

Elephas / V-DiV / Hayduke / naamanf / jrossel / rds / user18 / willisv / pars / tintin47 / zkool448

OK Folk, I am going to start wrapping this up and thus the final decision time is near. I am going to send all involved a pm with a voting option. The Primary vote is going to be between HD800 and Eagle + HP , the second tier vote is going to be between HD600 , K701 and RS1. To be clear we have the choice between the HD800 or Eagle and another headphone. The way I am going to tally the votes is via the 2 tier approach - first round goes up against the HD800 , if this has majority vote, it stops there. If not, we move on to voting between the HD600 / K701 or RS1. I will count the first vote listed and post results once available.

I have cleared space in my pm box and will conduct all voting via pm ( or e-mail ) , feel free to spat it out publicly but the tally in my inbox is what will finally decide the choice.

Thank you to everyone for participating ( and feel free to join in if the desire strikes you still ) , perhaps smeggy will grace us with an update of his mighty fine work.

..dB

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me add one thing: Given the current state of the Poor Man's sim issues with Eagle, I was able to subtly (and in the context of the current development) inquire if, in his opinion, the full up Eagle (or some other tool) would be of any benefit. He did not indicate he thought it would, perhaps thinking I was suggesting him buy it.

Nonetheless, I get no feel that he thinks Eagle is worth paying for. Nor did he respond to my query about what other tools might be better, so we have no input about how he values the simulation tools, especially after Eagle has 'failed' to date in the Stacker II and Poor Man's Stat amp simulations.

Another factor is the availability of the hd800 - no man knows the hour (day / month / year) they will be available, but should know by the end of April, and maybe even the April in this year.

I still vote hd800, and will do so properly in email.

Well, if full up Eagle isn't gonna sim power supplies better than what he is using now, I'm not sure about bang for buck - and, let's remember Ferrari is more interested in esoteric designs than meat and potatoes.

No matter to me, as I'm a sushi guy, but, if Alex really thought an Eagle upgrade would meet 99.5% of his need, he'd just buy it.

Which begs the question - what tool would better help him simulate and troubleshoot circuits? Autoroute? Long time since I looked at sim s/w. But, he was not a happy camper Saturday when we found a material weakness in the PM psu. Having said that, not sure any s/w solution would help when assumptions, well, accept a calciulated risk.

I

Yeah, my bad - Eagle is just a layout / router. I did get confirmation today he has excellent sim resources, so SPICE, OrCad, etc wouldn't be of use either.

That said, the sim software is NOT our current problem - it seems the 5% parts, NOT being matched is causing drift for edge conditions.

That all said, not sure what the Eagle gives Alex other than bigger boards and more components, unless I am clueless again, which I'm OK with, since I am long removed with circuit sw tools.

But, I placed my vote, and we'll see what comes from it all.

To give you an idea where we sit with the voting

Tier 1

eagle 16

HD800 12

Tier 2

HD600 10

K701 2

RS1 5

AD2000 9

This is no fair! :mad:

Probably less people have heard the AD2000 than the other three headphones. Presumably those who haven't won't vote the AD2000.

Therefore I think the AD2000 should get an automatic +10 votes. :)

--

BTW, what are the additional funds needed for Eagle + HD800? Wouldn't that make everyone happy?

This is no fair! :mad:

Probably less people have heard the AD2000 than the other three headphones. Presumably those who haven't won't vote the AD2000.

Therefore I think the AD2000 should get an automatic +10 votes. :)

well some folk have misinterpreted and listed both hd600 and ad2k - I guess as editor I could err in favour of my preferred choice :eek:;)

--

BTW, what are the additional funds needed for Eagle + HD800? Wouldn't that make everyone happy?

that would be the full cost of eagle - iirc $550

I am not convinced that everyone will ever be happy ;D

..dB

thems some yummy looking cups Gary!

(whats with that strange 'wing' on the baffle?)

cheers!

the 'wing' is a rear pad ramp, inside that wing is a strip of sponge rubber to give ear clearance for comfort. If you look at the hand held pic you can see how deep the pad to driver space is at the back. I hate getting my ears squished like most, so I'm trying to make them as comfy as I can with the standard pads. The baffle also has a sheet of fine nylon mesh over it for added protection that doesn't affect the sound.