a nod to someone who has served us well

dBel84

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost cried when reading his response.

OK, a couple tears did somehow squeeze themselves out.

Remember, if you have elephant-like ears and they touch the AD2000 driver covers, put some foam strips or other type of padding under the earpads, just enough so the ears don't touch.

Folks, I have finally had some time with my new headphones. Thank you all again for this wonderful gift. I have gone from famine to feast in one day!!

I haven't had extensive listening sessions and I chose Alison Krause + Union Station arbitrarily as the first thing to listen to. I did this because when I first fired up my SOHA II and asked my wife to listen to it she actually started to tear up at the beauty of the sound.

First, it's very nice to be able to move from headphone to headphone listening to what they do. They are each very good in their own way. And, of course, they really haven't had any breakin.

I guess you'll want to hear some impressions and the first one is now I need to buy a new source. :)

This particular CD is acoustic-electric with, of course, the amazing voice. The bass is a standup jobbie.

It's pretty easy to tell the characteristics of the headphones in this arrangement and I would say:

1. When I want some serious bass I will use the orthos. They can really hammer out the bass and it is very strong and clean even from an acoustic bass.

2. The Senns and ADs are similar, but different. The ADs excel at highs. And the Senns seem to do everything well.

I was paying careful attention to whether the instruments sounded "real". Things like cymbals and whether they sound like pie plates or real cymbals. Of the three headphones I must admit (though I hate to) that the Senns seem to reproduce the attacks and transients the best, especially at higher volumes.

Next session will be listening with the Bijou. I bet that will be quite different.

just a follow up , I will have to get him to sign up here too ;) ..dB

"the Senns seem to reproduce the attacks and transients the best"

Ouch! I voted for the AD2000 and have made fun of the HD600, HD650 (veiled :eek:, slow, lack details), and the K701 and other headphones that were on the consideration list.

I confess and beg for forgiveness! :asshat:

Hmm, but that was only with one amp. ;)