Decent IEM for an Ipod

da4

Hi guys, I need help with buying IEM headphones. I was looking for Shure's Se310 and then I saw some positive reviews for Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5EB and Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5Pro. I mainly listen to electronic and hiphop music. What would you prefer between these ones?

If you suggest any other model, I will gladly listen to other suggestions.

Sorry guys, I'm a newbie and I don't want to spend (max 200$) for a crap IEM's if you understand me. :)

Thank you for your help in advance

I can't find my Ety's, so I can't compare, but I quite like the RE-02's, you definitely did not steer me wrong there. From memory, they're better than the US$100 Shures I have.

LOL,don't be such a douchebag, I was searching on many sites, but I'm afraid that isn't enough. That's why I'm asking people on this forum which is known for nice suggestions.
[bruce willis in fifth element]Wrong answer.[/bruce willis] Edited by Dusty Chalk

I've tried many IEMs (Shure E4c, Shure SE530, Westone 3, UE Super.fi 5 Pro, UE Triple.fi 10 Pro, Altec iM716, possibly others) and I always come back to my good old Etymotic ER4P. Their sound is not for everybody, as they lack bass punch and the mids are a little bit thin compared to most headphones out there, but at the same time they're the only universal IEMs that somehow remind me of high-end headphones, electrostats in particular. They're far from being on the same level as even the cheapest Stax, but their speed and transparency is unequaled IMO in the universal IEM field.

I've tried many IEMs (Shure E4c, Shure SE530, Westone 3, UE Super.fi 5 Pro, UE Triple.fi 10 Pro, Altec iM716, possibly others) and I always come back to my good old Etymotic ER4P. Their sound is not for everybody, as they lack bass punch and the mids are a little bit thin compared to most headphones out there, but at the same time they're the only universal IEMs that somehow remind me of high-end headphones, electrostats in particular. They're far from being on the same level as even the cheapest Stax, but their speed and transparency is unequaled IMO in the universal IEM field.

x2. I've gone one circle and no matter where I go, its back to my trusty first set of IEMs, ER-4. The bass punch is ok for me, though you definitely need to get a good seal to get any bass at all. Clarity is unrivaled.

In fact I've liked them so much and am so sure that no other IEM will ever entice me again that I've went ahead and got some custom moulds for them. Definitely a small boost in seal and a large one in comfort.

That's why I'm asking people on this forum which is known for nice suggestions.

Well I'm new too, and i've got v nice suggestions from many ppl here, so go figure.

Funny link, brought me out of lurk mode :)

LOL,don't be such a douchebag, I was searching on many sites, but I'm afraid that isn't enough. That's why I'm asking people on this forum which is known for nice suggestions.
Well Im also new here, so just read around first before posting anything :) Lots of info in this site to keep you busy :)

Guys, thank you for your advices, I appreciate it. So guess I'll take the Futuresonic's for low price of 120€ from Handheld audio. I was just looking for IEM's with nice bass and I guess these are nice for this price. Although ER-4 I'll consider as a backups when not listening to electronic and hiphop music.

Thanks again

I'm happy with ER4's but with a bit of bass boost. I find the highs of the 4s to be very natural but that's just for me.

The thing I noticed looking at the HR graphs is that the ety's have a lot of harmonic distortion - more than I've seen with any other 'phone, canal or otherwise, and their impulse response is worse than most other IEM's.

graphCompare.php?graphType=1&graphID[]=743

graphCompare.php?graphType=4&graphID[]=743&graphID[]=693

What do people think about the Sleek's?

I have been very happy with the Klipsch Image x10. If they run another 50% sale, I recommend snatching them up.

x2 for not just hip hop and rap and electronic but other stuff too, but the X10 can also be found used for as low as $160 when not on sale. For his music the X10 would be a great choice.

The SE310 he asked about were nice though if used with an amp, but the X10 don't need an amp. I recall my SE310 had more bass than my E4c when I compared the two long ago, and the Image X10 had more bass than the Sleek SA6 when I compared the two last August/Sept.

I never liked the Super.fi 5 Pro for the smiley shaped frequency response and graininess. Not heard the EB version he asked about either.

The Nuforce NE-7M would have nice bass and only cost $49 and they are pretty decent and I enjoy more than I did my old ER6i that lacked bass, despite a little less detail in the Nuforce.

My RE2 are at about 70 hours of burn-in and are more forward with less bass than the NE-7M but slightly more detailed as well, I just don't think they are a hip hop IEM yet. Who knows with more burn-in they might be.

JVC Marshmallows with the Kramer mod could be a decent choice if he isn't looking for hi-fi. Senn C300 suck eggs for anything.

Denon C700/751 would also be a decent hip hop rap IEM, but vs the Nuforce the bass is just a little sloppier and the highs a little harsher, but the bass is over the top for his music.

Some day I'll have to hear the Futuresonics Atrio M5 V2.

Word of advice. If you want to stay on this forum, you would do well to do research on your own instead of asking for information to be spoon-fed to you, and then being indignant when people refuse. "What's the best IEM for ipod" is a question that you can answer after 10 minutes of work. We're not here at your convenience, and if you want inane chatter then stick to head-fi.

But with that said... For $200 I really like the Shure SE420. Read up more on that. I think it has a very good combination of warmth and detail, and should be fine for an all-rounder from an ipod. I think it's very underestimated and overlooked. You will also want to experiment with every type of eartip known to man to get the best fit. It would be warm, bassy, but very clear sounding. If it sounds thin, tinny, and metallic, then you're not getting a good fit.