New Mac minis are out.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seriously considering getting a netbook to complement my mini, and ditching the macbook.

Me too, especially since the Dell Mini 9 can be hacked to run OS X. very tempting. The only thing holding me back is that cramped netbook keyboard, but even that can be dealt with via a USB keyboard in non-travel settings.

[realitydistortion]Of course we can all just wait another year to pay 50% more for the totally awesome netbook Apple will eventually release that saves humanity and single-handedly release the US from the icy grip of the recession.[/realitydistortion]

God damn I want a Mac Pro... And in the case of netbooks, I found the small screens and keyboards just didn't do it for me and they don't seem like a real good replacement for my MacBook just yet. I did hack the msi wind for mac is x though, even replaced the wireless card to make it work just right, but like I said, I'd rather use by MacBook.

I'm seriously considering getting a netbook to complement my mini, and ditching the macbook.

The posting about OSX on Inspiron Mini 9 piqued my interest. Went for it and put OSX on my ASUS 1000H. I'm not the most technically inclined, but there are very detailed step-by-step instructions out there - if I can do it, I suppose anyone can. Now I have a fully functional OSX netbook - and it is by far the most enjoyable mobile experience. I had to get a broadcom airport mini-PCI card ($25 on the net) and pop that in, as the original Ralink wlan card is flaky under OSX (this is also well documented out there). I've got 2g memory and 320g HD on the 1000H. eg, Airtunes to Airport Express to DAC to rest of speaker system is sublime in how it all works seemlessly when I'm home. 320g is more than plenty that I have all my favorite CDs ripped ALAC on the 1000H. This thing weighs nothing so I take it everywhere.

Back on topic, I own macmini (which got me into OSX), but don't feel compelled to upgrade to new one.

I've never paid much attention to netbooks, as I'm happy to just use my iPhone for light browsing etc. away from the desktop at home or on the road. But you guys are making me want one. Bigger screen plus physical keys plus 802.11n would be nice, if not arguably necessary. Any thoughts on this guy's take on the options?

Maybe I should just wait for the fabled Mac Web tablet. Of course that'll probably be $1,000.

Hmmmm....I've been holding off ordering a Mini while waiting to see the new models. I was kind of hoping they'd still have a Firewire 400 port for my Duet and a regular video port for my Cinema display (HDMI port would have been really nice) but now I hear the Duet and Mini are not complimentary I'm going to have to see if I can still squeeze some use out of my old Powerbook G4 867mhz 12" as a future home/business file/music server.

Trouble is the 867 is almost too slow to run the Duet (867 vs 1ghz min rec.), doesn't have optical out and now I find out can't run the DROBO I was thinking of getting and the Duet at the same time.

Darn, I may still need a Mac Mini.

The duet and the mini work fine if your external storage is usb. And you can buy the discounted previous generation mini for a fw400 port and full sized dvi (tho the new one comes with an adapter). Really, this shouldn't disuade you from a mini audio system.

I've never paid much attention to netbooks, as I'm happy to just use my iPhone for light browsing etc. away from the desktop at home or on the road. But you guys are making me want one. Bigger screen plus physical keys plus 802.11n would be nice, if not arguably necessary. Any thoughts on this guy's take on the options?

Maybe I should just wait for the fabled Mac Web tablet. Of course that'll probably be $1,000.

i have the msi wind with osx on it. works fine for what i need it for, but like i said, i'd much rather use my macbook. the msi wind was just to fuck around with and i ended up just keeping it around for fun. i'm thinking i'll probably move to a desktop system when i need a new computer, probably in like 3-4 years or so, because i don't take my macbook around with me all that much, so i can see having a hacked netbook being useful then. i still can't get past the small keyboard and screen though.

Yes, it's a given that an 867mhz pb g4 is too slow to do what you're wanting. But given that it's what, 6 years old now, is that really a surprise?

*Sigh*

No, not really.

I'm still more inclined to source a cheap MacBook or used MacBook Pro than a new Mini.

The two other MacBook Pros in use in the household are both previous generation 17" machines and aren't compatible with the new LED screens from Apple which the new Minis need.

I don't really see anything in the new Minis to make me spend the dough. For the same dough or less I could get a laptop with a built-in screen.

:(

Not long ago I made public my intention to buy an iMac (using it with a Ack Dack) in the near future. I was waiting for the new upgraded iMac and hoping for a non-glossy option....:(

In short, I was once again annoyed beyond words by Apple marketing strategy. Looking for a plan ''B'' I was even more infuriated by the decision of letting go of the Cinema Display HD 20'' the same day.

So the following day the new Mini was released I bought (it was a fun experience to find one still available on the net...) another 20'' Display.

Since obviously I wont buy a glossy iMac I'm looking now for a Mini to go along my new non-glossy monitor.

I have 2 questions.

For music purpose (and maybe a little bit of simple Wordprocessing at the same time) is it:

1) an obligation to change the 5400 rpm HD for a 7200 rpm HD?

and

2) an obligation to go from 2g to 4g memory?

Thanks in advance,

Amicalement

PS

And yes I used Colorware service in the past and maybe I'll go for the matching silver option as well...:cool: