Has anybody contested apple refusing to honor their waranty?

Chekhonte

The right channel went out on my ipod after only a few months so I sent it into apple. They said that the damage was caused by accident damage or abuse. I don't believe that I handled it in any neglectful way or there was accidental damage. Has anybody tried to force apple to honor a warranty after they have tried to deny a repair?

The right channel went out on my ipod after only a few months so I sent it into apple. They said that the damage was caused by accident damage or abuse. I don't believe that I handled it in any neglectful way or there was accidental damage. Has anybody tried to force apple to honor a warranty after they have tried to deny a repair?

Couldn't hurt. I would pressure them. Worst that could happen is they say no. Simply explain to them that you took care of your $$$$ MP3 player and never treated it ill (given there isn't any obvious damage to the player). It is cheaper for them to say no and hope you don't follow through then for them to fix it no questions asked.

If it doesnt work out, you should be able to get a new headphone jack (which is most likely the problem) on ebay and install it yourself for under $10

I just looked it up and it looks like it should be pretty easy to install a new headphone jack. I assumed it would require soldering and my soldering iron broke a few months ago.

I wanted to. I bought a used broken touch for $80 that died and the owner opened it up to see if the battery was disconnected. He got it used and didn't think that it was under warrantee, but I checked and it was, so I bought it and sent it in, and they sent it back saying it was abused and water damaged. I figure they must have a way (red dot) inside to know about water, and how could I fight that. The seller denied getting it wet, and I'm stuck with it.

I figured at least I have a spare screen for my 16Gb touch, except my son lost the touch on a ski trip 3 weeks ago, so I'm even more screwed.

PS: Does your iPod play both channels through the line out dock? You get get a cheap amp to velcro to the iPod and still use it.

• 2 weeks later...
Apple now have water damage markers in all their gear. However, I've heard of the markers changing even if there was no water damage. Apple are insanely anal about warranties due to many people trying to make claims due to abuse.

Can I get any documentation of that happening, so I could use it to help me contest the denied warrantee on the Touch?

Can I get any documentation of that happening, so I could use it to help me contest the denied warrantee on the Touch?

I'd post your complaint on one of the large Mac forums and see if someone there has info. I don't have a link to where I read it, but I recall someone putting in a MacBook or MBP for repair, and being told that warranty repair was refused as it showed signs of water damage, even though it had been used indoors and nothing was ever spilt on it. When pressed, they were told that the marker inside indicating water damage had changed color indicating exposure to water.

I wanted to. I bought a used broken touch for $80 that died and the owner opened it up to see if the battery was disconnected. He got it used and didn't think that it was under warrantee, but I checked and it was, so I bought it and sent it in, and they sent it back saying it was abused and water damaged. I figure they must have a way (red dot) inside to know about water, and how could I fight that. The seller denied getting it wet, and I'm stuck with it.

I'm pretty sure opening it up will have voided the warranty whether it was water damaged or not.

How can you rationally fight the claim refusal when you have no way of knowing whether it got wet prior to your ownership anyway?

Buying a broken, 3rd hand consumer device and then expecting it to be repaired under warranty strikes me as odd to say the least.

PS: Does your iPod play both channels through the line out dock? You get get a cheap amp to velcro to the iPod and still use it.

I don't have a LOD to see if it works or not. I bought a replacement headphone jack that will arrive in a day or two anyway.

I recienved the ipod in the mail yesterday and upon opening it I noticed that there was a dent on the upper right corner that probably indicated to them that it was mishandled. I don't know if it was there before or I shipped it, I don't remember dropping it but who knows, it could have happened in my bookbag or something. I'm not going to fight it.

it would only have voided the warranty if he had damaged the device while opening it.

If it was never designed to be opened, then by definition, opening it is damaging it surely?

Apple always states in their documentation that the device should not be opened and doing so may void the warranty, so it's debateable perhaps, but another difficult point to argue with them certainly.

Fuck was opening the ipod classic a bitch! It has metal tabs that lock the back to the face plate. I accidently cracked my screen working my way around it. Since i basicly had to bend the tabs to get it open, it now doesn't quite fit together exactly as it should. the screen fortunately still works but man, that sucked. I replaced the headphone jack and it works but i have one seariously fucked up ipod now. I'd like to take this space and send a big

FUCK YOU

To the assholes at apple that made them basically non-serviceable.

I've opened an ipod. It's not really that hard, you just have to be careful. It's a lot easier than replacing the dvd burner in a macbook, for example. You just need the right tool, and it takes just a couple of minutes. Just don't force it.